Chapter 32 - Autumn

The silence in the car is so awkward. If none of us says anything soon, I might just open the door and jump out, and it doesn't matter if we're right in the middle of the interstate. I can't take it.

"Where have you been?"

I shudder at my own voice. It sounds like a stranger's voice, it's too high-pitched and too breathy to be actually mine.

My boss keeps his eyes on the road as he coolly responds. "I had some things to take care of."

And back to silence. Great. This is going so well.

I don't know where to put my hands, so I start fumbling with the ribbon of my dress.

"Don't do that." Now he turns his head to me, smiling like he is up to something. "Otherwise I might get ideas."

He winks mischievously before returning his attention back to the traffic.

Cold. I need something cold. Right now. Better yet, something icy to give my burning skin at least a little bit of relief.

"With your wife?" Yep, that was pretty cold. A bucket full of frozen liquid. Why in god's name did I say that?

His facial expression promptly turns to stone and he grumbles, "How was your date?"

Really, I'm so embarrassed I can't but whisper. "It wasn't a date, he's just a friend. Well, not even that, we met a few days ago. He works at the sporting goods store." Oh, Autumn, stop. Don't make this worse with your nonsensical rambling.

He raises an eyebrow. "Well, I bet he sees things differently. Calling you at work. That's a pretty sure sign he is interested, Miss Lewis."

I don't know why it hurts that he uses my last name to address me, since I do it, too.

Nevertheless, it is painful.

"Maybe," I admit. "But the interest is not mutual."

Mr. Marlow nods in understanding and we're back once more to deafening absence of sound.

God, finally this ride has reached its destination and we can leave the prison that was that car.

With his hand on my lower back, he leads me through the crowd of people that is gathered outside the building, chatting noisily.

"James!" Someone in the crowd calls out to him. "James, how good to see you."

A rather small man with glasses and an almost bald head steps up to us.

"Victor." My boss is all professional, all polite and friendly. "How are you? How is Luise?"

The man smirks. "She's fine. She's here somewhere, spreading gossip with Nancy. You know her, it's her favorite pastime." He laughs about his own joke before his eyes roam over to me and over my entire body.

"And who is this?" The tone of his voice suddenly turns suggestive.

In response, Mr. Marlow's hand, which was still resting on my back up to now, slides around my waist to pull me closer to him and away from that Victor, whose gaze is frozen on me.

"This is Miss Autumn Lewis," he says, still polite but with a warning undertone. "And she is taken, Victor. So don't even try it."

That slimy guy takes a step back and raises his hands in mock defense. "Hey, I'm not trying anything, I'm just admiring."

Without paying any more attention to him, Mr. Marlow gently pushes me forward, toward the entrance.

"Let's go in," he growls.