Chapter 42 - James

"Jake, so good to see you."

Aunt Mary kisses him on both cheeks, delighted that we made it.

"You too, Aunt Mary."

He shrugs out of his coat and hands it to the maid who just too eagerly helps him with his scarf, too.

I have to chuckle. She has had a thing for him since she started working for my aunt. That would be about four years now. Jake is oblivious to it, though.

"James!"

Now it's my turn to be hugged by my dad's sister. Ugh, her perfume sure has me gasp for air. So disgustingly tangy. Did she bathe in it?

"How are you doing? I've heard about the accident. Horrible. Are your wife and daughter okay? You must be worried sick."

Here we go. Not two minutes here and she's already starting that bullshit.

"They're fine. And she is not my wife anymore, remember?"

She waves her slender fingers dismissively. "I don't believe in divorce, you know that. There always is a way to sort difficulties out. And I'm sure you two will eventually figure that out, too."

"I don't think so," I snarl and step to the side, so Autumn can be introduced.

When she sees her, Aunt Mary tries to say something but is at an obvious loss for words.

"This is Autumn Lewis," I smile, enjoying the baffled look on my aunt's face. "My girlfriend."

"It is very nice to meet you." Autumn offers her hand, but Aunt Mary just stands there, frozen to the ground.

Then, finally, she starts looking for something. Or someone.

"David? David!"

Yeah, whenever she is shocked, she calls for backup.

My uncle appears in the hallway. He is a tall guy. Tall and heavy. But he has the softest heart. Besides Jake, I consider him to be the only one in my family I'm close to.

"Jake! James! So glad you made it."

He greets us with a pat on the shoulder. Then, he notices Autumn, who is shyly looking up at him.

"And who is this lovely young lady?"

"This," my aunt snorts, "is James' girlfriend."

He smiles widely, taking her hand. "Pleasure to meet you, Miss."

"That's all you have got to say?" My aunt sure is pissed.

"Well, what do you want me to say, Mary?"

She pretends not to have heard my uncle's question and gives me one of her scolding what-the-hell-are-you-thinking looks.

"Does your wife know about her?"

I let out an exasperated breath.

"You know, I don't really care if Fiona knows about her or not. It is none of her business anymore. We. Are. Divorced."

She presses her thin lips together, making the skin around her mouth wrinkle even more.

"Whatever you say."

"Why don't we all have a seat in the dining room. Dinner will be ready in a minute anyway," Uncle David intervenes, looking apologetic.

"That is an awesome idea." Jake doesn't hesitate and leads the way.

I place my hand on Autumn's lower back to guide her into the dining area. I can tell by her stiff posture that she is uncomfortable as hell. I can't blame her. I already feel sorry for having brought her here. I wasn't thinking, I just wanted her with me. Hopefully my aunt will get it together and won't cause any more awkwardness.