Chapter 26 - Autumn

The entire rest of the day, Mr. Marlow doesn't speak to me, let alone look at me. I can't say it doesn't hurt, because it most certainly does, as you can imagine. But at least, I get some work done for the exhibit, and when it is time to leave the office for the day, I'm relieved to not have to do that much-dreaded small talk at the reception, since Carla has never returned to work after the restaurant incident with my boss. I have no idea if she was fired or if she quit, all I know is that someone else has since taken her place behind the heavy wooden desk. Someone pretty. Someone very pretty, very blonde and very young. Very snobby, too, of course. Seems to be a prerequisite to be hired for that position. But she is passionate about her job, especially when it comes to meeting my boss's requests. Figures.

I rush home to change into some padded black yoga pants and a thick yellow cotton sweater. Carefully, I put my beloved skates into a backpack and then hurry to meet Cody. I'm late as it is.

When I arrive at the rink I'm worried for a minute that I won't be able to find him among the crowd. There are so many people here; teenage couples leisurely gliding over the ice, holding hands; families with small children enjoying their time together; groups of girls giggling as they fall over and try to hold on to each other. Just as I begin to feel a little uncomfortable, being the only person without company, I spot him at the skate rental. He notices me too and waves giddily.

"Hey, Ice Princess," he shouts over to me as I approach.

I can't help but smile at the way he addresses me. Ice princess. That's kind of sweet, isn't it?

"Hey yourself." I raise my hand to indicate a hello. "Have you been waiting long?"

"Naw, just arrived." His friendly green eyes wink at me as Cody proudly holds the black skates up he just rented. "I guess I'm all set."

"Looks like it." I smile and give his skates a closer look. "Are they the right size?"

Cody nods. "Yeah, they're a 10."

"Is that your regular size?"

He glances at me, confused about my question. "It is. Why?"

I smirk. "When it comes to skates, you want them to fit snugly so they can give you proper support. So, you might want to return them and ask for a 9."

"Oh, I didn't know that." He laughs and leans closer to me just like he was going to reveal a secret. "Don't tell anyone that I work at a sporting goods store."

I can't help but giggle like a silly school girl about his remark.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

While he gets back in line to exchange the skates, I look around and find a bench where I can put on my ice skates. As I walk over to the flimsy plastic thingy, I notice a middle-aged woman with an auburn ponytail kneeling in front of a little blackhaired girl, who is obviously in pain and sobbing inconsolably.

"I know it hurts," I hear her say. "But don't worry, it will pass soon, honey. Your knee will be fine, it's not bleeding, just a little bruise."

"Mommy will be so mad," the little girl cries. "I'm supposed to wear that short dress tomorrow and now my knee is ruined."

"It's not ruined, sweetie. You will still look beautiful in your dress."

"Mommy won't think so. She will be angry with me."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. That cute little girl is apparently afraid of her mom's reaction to a bruise on her knee; and not because her mom might be concerned, no, because it doesn't look presentable. Instantly, my heart feels so heavy and without further thought, I walk over to her.