Chapter 16 - Autumn

I look at Mr. Marlow through the glass front of his office. He looks at me, too. It is then that I decide the mouse has to finally take charge of her life and not let anyone push her around like a chess piece. I'm not a playing piece in a fucked up game. So, I stand, smooth my grey business dress and hold my head high as I enter his room.

"Miss Lewis?" He asks, surprised.

"Why did you do this?"

He frowns. "Why did I do what?"

I can't believe he plays innocent. I don't think I have ever been angry at him. That is, until now. "Well, let me help you. You called Stills, you threatened him, you told him to stay away from me, you made me look like an idiot. I don't think you can imagine how humiliating it was yesterday when I showed up at the club and was sent packing right away? Why do you do this to me?"

He opens his mouth as if to say something, but apparently thinks better of it.

"It's okay," I continue my rant. "You don't need to say anything. I guess for you it must be really entertaining to see me devastated and hopeless. I thought I could go out and meet some people, have some fun for a change, but my boss didn't agree. My boss just wants to add insult to injury. I don't remember the paragraph in my work contract that specifies I'm yours to push around."

He gets up from his chair, supporting himself with his hands on the desk.

"Miss Lewis, I don't ..."

I'm so mad I forget that he could fire me in the blink of an eye for what I'm doing here.

"I know you told me not to go," I cut him off. "And seriously, under any other circumstances I wouldn't even have considered to accept his invitation. But I've been through a lot lately, and a guy asking me out seemed like a nice escape from the crappy reality I'm living in. It was supposed to be just one fun night out. Why did you do this to me?"

His tongue touches his lips to moisten them before he calmly says, "So you think I'm playing games here? Miss Lewis, dating a client is not a very smart thing to do. Besides, couldn't you tell Stills was out for more than just partying with you? His eyes were all over you, they virtually undressed you in the conference room, and if I had let him, he would have had his way with you last night."

Does he think I'm 13?

"You might not have noticed but I'm a grown woman and I can decide whether or not I let a guy touch me."

"I don't think you're in the position to tell me how rational you act after I have met your boyfriend. Staying with him is not a grown-up thing to do, Miss Lewis."

This is unbelievable! Who is he, my legal guardian or what?

"He's not my boyfriend anymore. And how dare you talk to me like I'm a child? I mean, I get it, you don't ever have to deal with those things, you can trade one woman for another, you don't have any trouble finding one who just too willingly follows you to the bedroom because you're so ... "

No, no. I didn't say that out loud, right? I was just thinking it, no? Tell me I was only thinking this.

Judging by the amused look on his face, I didn't. Damn it, damn my big mouth. All my anger, all my frustration and the put on bravery simply collapses like a card house over the realization what I just said. Shit. I'm so embarrassed I can't even look into his eyes anymore.

He raises one eyebrow and smiles softly. "Because I am so ... what?"

So attractive, handsome, beautiful ... so sexy. I stare at the marble floor tiles, face burning like I had put it on a stove.

"Nothing," I mumble.

"Nothing." He steps closer to me and tilts his head in an attempt to look at my face. His breath brushes over my neck like a warm, soft velvet scarf. "This certainly doesn't look like nothing."

I shiver under his penetrating gaze as his gentle whisper reaches my ear.

"Tell me, Miss Lewis."

Cautiously, I lift my eyes up to him. Oh God, he is so close, I can feel the heat of his body, the tempting scent of his aftershave is all around me. No, I can't tell him, I can't.

"Nothing," I repeat, almost too quiet for myself to hear.

He gives me the most devastatingly sexy smile I have ever seen in my entire life.

"That nothing sure has left you abashed. So, tell me, should I take it as a compliment or do I need to be offended?"

"It wasn't meant as an insult," I say quickly. For the love of God, I never meant to offend him.

"What was it then?"

Oh please, can't you let it go? Do you really want me to embarrass myself more than I already have?

He takes a few steps, forcing me to back up until the wall behind me lets me know that I'm trapped.