[10]

October 12th 2017

Jane had returned from visiting family the previous night, and it was really bothering Calvin that he was unable to go and see her.

All because of that stupid contract. And Audrey.

Luck just wasn't working on his side. The contract had just come back with a few minor changes after having read over by both Audrey and Calvin's respective lawyers the day before; the same day that Jane had come back to town. And it was effective immediately.

The first day hadn't been so bad, probably because he spent nearly all of it at work and away from home. He had only had to see Audrey when he came home last night and much to his dismay, Audrey was waiting for him with dinner.

If it was someone else then he would have felt guilty that she hadn't ate because she was waiting for him, especially since he had rolled up to the driveway a few minutes past eleven. And as the contract stated, he had to put in an effort into this marriage for the next two months, else he would have to give everything up.

Today was harder, especially since he had been woken by the sound of his phone ringing.

It had been early, 7.04 am to be exact. Calvin hadn't heard his phone ring at first as he was still asleep, but his eyes had flickered open when he heard Audrey's voice. He had gazed at her groggily at first, still half asleep as she stood to the right of the bed, speaking to someone on the bed.

It was only when Audrey's scowl had appeared to be visibly etched onto her face and when she put the phone on loud speaker and flung it on the bed by his head did he wake up completely.

It was Jane. Audrey had been speaking to Jane.

His wife and his mistress; it wasn't the ideal situation to be in, especially not this early in the morning.

"You bitch!" Calvin heard Jane scream from the phone that now sat on the pillow where his head had been resting only moments before. "Just wait until I get my hands on you!" Jane was still screaming, screeching at the top of her voice into the phone, throwing pretty much every insult under the sun to Audrey; the other woman.

But the truth was -not that Calvin would ever admit it- Jane was the other woman.

Calvin could only imagine what Audrey had said to Jane while he was still half asleep to get her as worked up as she was. In the two years that he had been with Jane, not once had he heard her raise her voice as high as she was doing currently.

It seemed like he wasn't the only one that hated Audrey.

Calvin exhaled and closed his eyes for a minute while Jane was still spouting every curse word she could think of. "Jane, calm down." He spoke calmly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

To his surprise, when he opened his eyes he found Audrey to be sat on the bed, not speaking, just listening to the conversation that he had hoped he would be able to have in private with Jane.

"Calvin?" Jane's voice was quieter now, slightly more relaxed as she called out to him, wanting to be confirm that it was indeed his voice that she had heard and was just not hearing things. "Is that you, baby?"

Calvin visibly cringed when Jane called him 'baby', not because he didn't like the endearment, but because his lover was calling him 'baby' in front of his wife.

He could cut the tension in the room with a knife.

Yet Audrey didn't say anything, she just frowned.

"Yes," he began slowly, not really sure what to say or make of the current situation. This was not how he planned to tell Jane. "It's me."

"Did you hear what that bitch said to me?"