[30]

November 27th 2017

Calvin woke up that morning with a raging headache, no doubt after having drunk far too much the previous night. His head spun dangerously as he sat up, the world spinning around him.

When he saw the pills and the glass of water on his bedside table, he breathed out a sigh of relief. No doubt Audrey's doing.

Gratefully, he popped two of the pills in his mouth and swallowed it down with the water, not leaving a single drop in the glass.

Calvin regretted drinking so much the previous night, but he had done it to forget. And it had worked, but now that he was awake, he remembered it all. Every single detail. The fact that it felt like his head was splitting open was just an added bonus.

He knew that he had acted rash the previous night, but he hadn't been thinking. He was just so blind sighted that he had acted upon instinct. The pain and betrayal had just been so much that he had started feeling overwhelmed. All his thoughts were jumbled together and he could hear them both speaking that he didn't know what to think.

And so, he ran.

Closing his eyes and laying back down on the bed, Calvin allowed himself to wish the headache away. But it didn't work, so he decided to sleep it away instead.

Pulling the blankets under his chin, he allowed himself to rest. He wanted peace and quiet to get rid of his headache, too bad he got painful memories instead.

-

They had just walked out of the diner, hand in hand. Calvin had smiled at her when she looked over at him.

Opening the passenger side door for her, he looked behind him at the diner. His eyes zeroed in on the figure of his wife standing there, next to the booth where they had, had dinner. It was almost as if she was transfixed to her spot as she watched them, her eyes glued to them. She didn't even look away when they made eye contact.

Brushing away the guilt, he closed the door and jogged over to his side of the car.

Within seconds he was driving out of the car park, away from the diner, and away from his wife.

Too bad he couldn't get away from the guilt.

"That was her, wasn't it?" Jane asked, pulling him away from his thoughts.

Sparing her a quick glance before he looked back to the road, he nodded.

Jane laughed softly to herself, brushing her blonde hair over her shoulder. "She's not very pretty." She noted aloud, a tinge of jealousy evident in her voice.

Calvin didn't comment on that. Despite wanting to disagree with her and stand up for his wife, he didn't say a word. It would be quite hypocritical of him to stand up for Audrey when he treated her like trash every day.

"I didn't expect to see you today." Calvin turned to Jane when they had stopped at a traffic light. "I thought we had plans for tomorrow."

Jane nodded and bit her lip. "I missed you." She admitted, not completely lying but still refusing to meet his eyes. Her boyfriend had to cancel their plans at the last minute and she hadn't wanted to spend the night alone, especially since she had gotten dressed up, so she had decided to crash Calvin's dinner date; even if he had repeatedly assured that it wasn't a date.

But he wasn't fooling anyone. Maybe that wife of his, but not her.

Perhaps it had all worked out for the best, her boyfriend bailing on her. Jane had no doubt that Calvin was slowly drifting away from her, that he was finally realising that he still loved that Audrey. This way, she was able to take him away from her.