[24]

November 19th 2017

"I'll just put you through to the doctor." The nurse informed her politely. "If you could just hold for a minute."

Audrey rolled her eyes. "Of course." She replied, tight-lipped. It wasn't the nurse's fault, but Audrey was feeling very nervous this morning, especially since today she was supposed to call into the hospital for the fertility results. She had been counting down the days, keeping that information to herself as she knew that her husband, Calvin wouldn't appreciate the constant reminder.

Music sounded from the speaker of the phone but Audrey made no move to move it away from her phone. Instead, she remained leaning forward on the kitchen counter, nervously inspecting her nails as she waited to be redirected to her personal doctor.

It was after a few minutes that Audrey heard another voice on the line. "Hello, this is Doctor Park speaking. Is this Mrs Paynter?"

"Yes, it's Audrey Paynter." Audrey pressed the phone against her ear harder. "I was calling to enquire about the tests that we sent off a few weeks ago."

"Oh, yes." The doctor said, but his words did nothing for her nerves. "Let me just take a quick look."

Audrey waited for a few more minutes, this time listening to what she presumed to be the doctor shuffling about in his office, looking for their file. It was better than listening to some depressing music that made her feel even worse about herself.

"Mrs Paynter?" His voice sounded his tone questioning as if wondering if she was still there.

"I'm still here." Her voice was small, laced with undue nervousness.

The man cleared his throat. "I'm afraid to say that the results aren't back yet."

Her eyebrows knitted together. "But I was told to call in today because they're scheduled to be returned."

"Yes, I'm aware. Perhaps there's been some mishap in the lab, or they're just not been sent back yet."

"Okay." Audrey hummed into the phone.

"I can enquire about that and get back to you later today. How does that sound?"

"Good. Thank you, doctor."

"Have a good day."

"You too." She muttered before ending the call, not feeling as cheery as she might have sounded. That meant that she would have to wait even longer to find out the results.

Audrey didn't move from her spot in the kitchen. She remained leaning against her elbows which were resting on the kitchen counter as she stared at the tiled wall in front of her, lost in thought.

She had been harbouring the notion that if the results came back clean, it would be proof that there was nothing wrong with her; that she could in fact, have a baby. Audrey would never admit it aloud, but she hoped that Calvin would reconsider if it was proven that she wasn't barren, and they could go back to trying to start their own family.

It wasn't the most sensible idea, but it was the only one that she had.

It also sounded very wrong. Having a baby to keep her husband interested. But not falling pregnant had started the arguments and the fights, and it had driven a wedge between them. She could only hope that the gap that had only widened over the years was one that they could fill with love and happiness; with their very own family.

But Audrey knew that it was all nothing but wishful thinking.

She couldn't deny the fact that Calvin had cheated on her, repeatedly. It might have started after they had begun to grow distant, but it had happened anyway. Regardless of whether they were getting along or not, they were still married and Calvin had not honoured that relationship.