CHAPTER 8

The days drift on softly like the snow that covers the landscape. There's a simple funeral, several people from town are there, including Blake's classmates and even his step-dad. But I'm skeptical about his father. He consumed a large amount of whiskey even before the funeral began. I'm by Blake's side the whole time, he never lets go of my hand. I become his rock but I am not as stable as he thinks. Losing Annie was the hardest thing I ever had to go through and all those emotions come rushing back. The two of us have to support each other.  

        The day we bury his mother in the local cemetery, it's raining hard. Blake and his friends lift the coffin into the ground and I stand by Blake and I lean my head on his shoulder. I say my silent goodbyes to his mother and I leave Blake for awhile to mourn on his own.

        I walk towards the coffee shop and contemplate my next move. There was a new article about John Smith and that he was seen with a girl and boy on their way to Tennessee. The cop pulled them over and tasered, who I can assume the weaker/human boy, Sam Goode, who most people, including his mother, believe he's being held hostage by John and the girl. They made their escape and took down two helicopters and practically an army of officers with the help of unknown forces. This gets me excited, knowing that these two Garde are powerful and on the move. I'd like to see if there's a follow-up article and I need my caffeine. 

        I pull my hair up and I order a cappuccino. I lean against the counter. I debate in my head what I'll do next. Obviously, I can't leave now, Blake needs me more than ever and I still feel that I need to stay aloof until the John Smith chaos dies down. If I go where the Garde were, the Mogs will also be all over there and they could recognize me. I'm drinking the warm beverage when the thought of bringing Blake with me crosses my mind again. I practically burn my mouth and spew out the coffee just thinking about it. But at the same time...it doesn't seem like a bad idea, I mean, Blake really wants to get out of here now and he really has no reason to stay. He wouldn't be missed in school and I can tell he doesn't want to be there anyway. I start to get excited but my stomach knots thinking about the vision I had. That...guy or whatever he is, will torture and eventually kill if Blake comes. I have an ominous feeling that this figure is coming and I am being warned about it.

        I decide to take a stroll outside to clear my thoughts. Some snow is falling now and I head towards the garage that most likely houses my boyfriend and his drunken step-father. I take slow steps as I  still contemplate the idea of bringing Blake along. The wind carries my ponytail and I shudder slightly. I reach the end of the block and stand beside the same streetlight that Blake and I had kissed under. I pull my bag up and stare at the moon. It makes an attempt to peek behind storm clouds. I wonder if the other Garde are looking at the same moon and wondering where I am.

Stay safe John Smith, Sam and other Garde. I'll find you soon.

        I turn towards the garage and I hear noises that I don't like. I pick up speed and head towards the light in the garage.