CHAPTER 9

The noises are the sounds of screaming and most likely fighting. I can hear Blake's nervous thoughts and the blurred, unintelligible ones that are coming from his stepfather and I think a few drunken friends too. I slowly approach and peer around the corner into the garage. I can see a lowly light in the back where the sounds of screaming are happening. I enter quickly and hide behind a green Corvette that Blake was restoring. I peek out and I try to get an understanding of what's happening.

        The stepfather is drunk out of his mind and in an aggressive mood. I can hear Blake fighting back as best he can but the father and his friends are too drunk for reason. I hear someone throw the first punch. I scream out and give away my position. The father locks eyes with me for a few moments and I can see his pupils swimming in booze and reason is lost on him. I have the sudden urge to use my telekinesis to protect Blake but I'll blow my cover and I know what that means. My mind races to find a solution as the father slurs his words and tells his friends to get me. 

        The friends stumble over the body that is now an injured Blake and they come after me. I can see the father kicking Blake in the stomach. The rage inside me is uncontrollable and at this moment. Nothing else matters. The two guys approach and instincts kick in. I grab the one guy with my mind and pull up into the air. The other tries to land a swing at my head but I grab his fist with my strength. He's stunned at this and I squeeze. He shrieks in pain and the other guys' squirms in my telekinetic hold. I force the one guy against the wall with my mind. He crumples to the grease-covered floor, out cold and I turn my attention to the man in my grasp. I glare at him and release his hand. He grimaces, and I can see that my hand has left a bruise but it's not broken. I collar him and I reach for something with my mind. I find that it's a hammer and I hold it up to the guy's face. He squirms and freaks out, fighting against my grasp. I feel in control but I am not a monster and I will not torture him. 

"You will leave here and never speak of this again" I snarl at him. The man squirms again and I release him.

"GO!!" I warn and he stumbles off. I make sure he exits out into the cold winter air and I turn towards my final opponent. I face the father, I can see that Blake is close to blacking out and the father stands over him. 

"Leave him alone and..." Before I even finish the sentence, the step-father chucks a knife at my chest.