-eighteen-

Indifference

(A/N: set during the episode, Indifference, but doesn't actually have anything to do with the plot of the episode. Follows my own plot)

Kacy couldn't remember a time when she'd felt worse than she did at that exact moment. She felt hot, but she also felt cold. Her cough wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Glenn and Sasha were in Cell Block A, too. Hershel was inside to help tend to the sick. Sasha and Glenn were helping him the best they could. Every time Kacy tried to help, Glenn told her to go and rest.

"I don't wanna rest, I wanna help," she told him.

"The best way for you to help is to get some rest," Glenn said. "You need to get better."

"I won't get better just laying around, the others went to get medicine. That's what'll make me better," Kacy said. "I wanna help other people feel better."

Hershel looked at his son-in-law and shrugged. "We could always use an extra hand," he said. Glenn sighed and reluctantly agreed to let her help. Kacy grinned and got to work serving Hershel's special tea to those who needed it.

She also helped distribute wet rags for people who were unbearably hot.

Suddenly, while she was giving out wet rags, Kacy felt extremely lightheaded and sat down on the stairs. Glenn noticed this and rushed to the young girl's side. "You okay?" He asked her.

Kacy nodded and waved him off. "I'm fine, just a little dizzy," she replied.

"That's it, you're going to lay down." Glenn helped her to her feet and then into her cell. He helped her lay down on the bed and grabbed her a cool rag for her forehead.

"Thanks," She said, pressing the cloth close to her forehead. Glenn nodded and ruffled her hair affectionately.

"Just get some rest, okay?" He said to her. Kacy nodded, for once not arguing with him. She rolled over in her bed and closed her eyes. Glenn smiled, she was finally getting the rest she needed. He sighed, knowing Maggie would be happy knowing that.

They had both promised to look after the girls, they promised Liz. And Glenn was going to uphold that promise, even if it meant he worked through all of the pain.

➵

Sometime in the middle of the night, while Glenn was helping Hershel make his rounds, he heard a terrible cough coming from what sounded like where Kacy was staying. Glenn glanced at Hershel, who'd also heard the cough, and the two men quickly headed for her cell.

There, they found Kacy, laying on her back, coughing her lungs up. There was a lot of blood, and Glenn began to panic. He looked to Hershel for guidance.

"Roll her on her side, make sure she doesn't choke," He ordered and Glenn immediately obeyed.

He rolled Kacy onto her side and a stream of blood came pouring out of her mouth. She was still wheezing and struggling to breathe. Hershel pulled out a manual ventilator and began to work on sliding the tube down Kacy's throat.

She trashed as Hershel did this, but Glenn held her arms down and tried to calm her with soothing words. As soon as Hershel got it ready, he began to squeeze the plastic sack that allowed air into her lungs. Soon, Kacy calmed down and closed her eyes.

Glenn sighed in relief and looked at Hershel. "That was too close," He said. Hershel nodded in response. Glenn nodded to the ventilator. "How long will that...?"

"As long as we're willing to do it," Hershel replied. "You okay to take over?"

Glenn nodded and took the ventilator from Hershel. He began to squeeze it every five or so seconds, making sure that she could breathe. Glenn wasn't going to move from this position until he was sure that Kacy would be all right.

"You keep at that, Sasha and I'll continue the rounds," Hershel said to Glenn. He rested a hand on the young man's shoulder. "She'll be all right, she's a fighter," he said. "Don't worry."

Glenn smiled up at him. "I'll try."

➵

Sooooooo yep. That was more of a filler chapter than anything. Hope you all enjoyed it regardless!

Comment and vote!

Read on, loves!

~Madison