27

Two weeks later, when I'm finally ungrounded, I find myself at Ridge's for the first time, playing checkers. "So, what do you think about prom?" Ridge asks out of the blue.

I shrug. "What about it?" I ask, jumping over one of pieces and taking it.

"Would you like to go if I asked you?" Ridge replies, moving one of his pieces.

"Depends."

He looks at me. "On what?"

"If you ask me," I smile.

He gets off the bed. "Come with me," he says, grabbing my hand and helping me off the bed.

We make our way into the kitchen, where he drops my hand and goes to the fridge. Then, he pulls out a cookie cake and lays it on the counter. I walk over to him, and I look down at it.

It blue icing it stated:

Prom?

It also has a corsage drawn onto the cake as well. I look at Ridge, who is as red as a tomato. "Aw, is someone blushing?" I tease, pinching his cheeks.

He swats my hands away. "Please, just answer," he says.

I smile, pecking his lips. "Of course, I will."

Ridge's face lit up. "Really?"

Nodding, I say, "Really really."

He kisses me. "I love you," he says.

I swallow, pulling away and forcing my eyes to the floor. "You can't mean that," I say, "It's only been a month and a week. It's just not possible, Ridge."

"You telling me what's not possible is not changing the way I feel. You may not think it is, but I know I love you," he says.

I shake my head and grab two forks from the drainer. "Let's eat this cookie cake, shall we?" I ask, changing the subject.

He nods, but I can see the hurt in his eyes. "I have ice cream as well. Mint chocolate chip, your favorite."

I sigh, "Ridge, I'm sorry I don't say it back. It's ju-"

"I know, Braelyn. You don't need to explain," he says, reaching into the freezer, "I don't want you to say it back until your ready."

I hug him from behind. "I'm glad you understand, Ridgey," I say, laughing when I say his nickname.

He chuckles, "You're lucky I like you."
××××××
The next day at school I tell Emma about prom. She squeals really loudly, and excitedly slaps my arm. "That's amazing!" She squeals, "Next weekend we're going shopping."

"Emma, prom is in a month."

"Twenty-six days to be exact," she says.

I look at Ridge. "You're hearing this, right?"

"Yeah, and I'm not getting into it."

Marcus laughs, "I don't blame you."

Xavier stares down at his sketchbook, his wrist flying wildly as he draws. "What do you draw in there?" I ask curiously.

He looks up at me, blushing. "Nothing," he says, closing the book.

"It's something," I reply, "You're always drawing in it."

"It's nothing," he says, forcing eyes to the ground.

Emma looks at him. "So, Xavier, are you going to prom, too?" she asks, taking the attention off the sketchbook.

Xavier shrugs. "I don't have a date," he answers, placing his book into his bag.

"Well, there's plenty of girls who would die to go with you," she says, sending him a sympathetic look.

I look away because I feel like a terrible person. I know Xavier likes me, but I don't feel the same way. He knows it because every time I look at him, I can see his pain. I see myself when I look at him because I've been there before. I know how it feels, which is probably why I feel so bad. I'm hurting someone like Jared hurt me.

"I'll probably won't go," Xavier says, pulling me from my thoughts.

"C'mon. It's your Senior year, Xav. Live a little," Emma tells him.

He shakes his head and stands up. "No, thanks. I'll see you guys later," he says and walks away, throwing his bag over his shoulder.

I can't take it, so I get up and follow him, despite Emma's and Ridge's questions. "Xavier!" I call as I follow him into the school.

He turns and pauses, waiting for me to catch up. "Yes?"

"I know you like me," I say, and he opens his mouth to speak. I cover his mouth with my hand. "I'm sorry, Xavier, but I don't feel the same way. I'm so sorry, but I can't keep letting you wonder about if I do or don't. I'm sorry, but I can't keep hurting you. So, that's why I'm telling you this.

"I feel like a terrible person when I see you look at me. I see your pain, and it makes me feel guilty. But I can't give you what I don't feel. I love you as a friend, but I'm not in love with you. Xavier, I don't want you to hurt anymore."

He removes my hand with tears in his eyes. "I figured. You go ahead and keep dating Ridge. He's just going to hurt you, and you're going to keep getting hurt until you wake up and see that I'm the one guy that won't break your heart. Until then, I guess I'll get out of your life."

With that said, he turns and walks away, but not before I see a tear fall down his cheek. I swallow as tears fill my own eyes. I really did it. I just cut out someone from my life, but is it for the best? I hug myself as he disappears down the hallway.

If it is for the best, then why do I feel worse than before? The bell rings, and the hallways begin to flood with students. I get shoved and bumped by people. Finally, after a few moments, I make my way to my next class with Xavier's words flooding through my mind.