Prologue

Caitlyn walked cautiously through Fort James, happy that nobody recognised her as his wife. She was invisible in the eyes of his enemies.

"Aren't you a pretty girl?" a drunken voice slurred behind her as he held himself up on a fence.

"Hmmm" Caitlyn replied, before rolling her eyes.

"You're not from round here?" he added and Caitlyn stared at him for a moment.

"No I am Not, and my business is my own" Caitlyn replied coldly "I wish to simply pass through"

"You should stay the night...I could use you to warm my cold bed" The man sneered as he grabbed her arm tightly.

"Let me go or I will cut your throat" Caitlyn hissed confidently, She didn't seem concerned by this man's threat. She was however sure of the blade she carried in her skirt and and pistol she had hidden in her petticoat"

The man didn't hesitate, her confidence unnerved him. It was obvious to him she had Native blood flowing through her veins "Forgive me I have been consumed with drink. I meant no offence"

Caitlyn nodded and pulled her arm away forcefully, She turned and continued towards the docks.

As she approached the waters edge, she scanned her surroundings for a familiar figure...and there he was, hidden by the shadows. A tall dark, savage looking man.

Caitlyn smirked as she approached him "You're late" The man shared her smirk.

"Well what do you expect when the local men cannot keep their hands to themselves...dont worry I dealt with him" Caitlyn spoke harshly as the man touched her stomach.

"And this?" The man said softly "What did she say about this?"

"It's time to go home love" Caitlyn put her hand on top of his and smiled gently "Declan, let us waste no more time in this god forsaken town...I want to home"

Declan nodded and held out his hand "Well then, we go" Caitlyn took his hand and followed him.

××××

The smell of fresh air and trees brought Caitlyn home instantly, the familiar grass under her feet. Caitlyn had walked beside Declan, with her hand still enveloped in his.

"Caitlyn" An older woman approached "What did the doctor say? Did you speak with her?"

"Yes and everything is how it should be" Caitlyn smiled "All we must do now is wait, he will know when the time is right"

"He is strong, I can sense it. He will make his presence known soon enough" Declan looked down on his wife and smiled as the woman spoke to her.

"Then he has his mother's spirit" Declan spoke before kissing Caitlyn's forehead "You must stay here with Kamenna"

"Declan, my place is with you" Caitlyn argued and Kamenna smiled gently.

"He is right" She tucked some hair behind Caitlyn's eat "Your son is due any day now and the wilderness is no place to give birth"

"Please Caitlyn, i need to know you're safe" Declan gripped Caitlyn's hand inside his own "And hidden, I will return in four days"

"Alright four days" Caitlyn reluctantly agreed.

×××××

Caitlyn had wondered a little further than she realised, but as she tried to walk back she felt a sudden pain in her stomach. The noise of some soldiers forced her to hide, she bit her lip hard as the pain intensified.

"Its round here somewhere" A voice announced, Caitlyn crouched even further down, praying no-one would see her.

×××××

"Shouldnt she be back by now?" Kamenna looked around outside the tent. Maki laughed.

"She will be home when she's ready" he smiled "Let her have her freedom, she will forever be wild"

"Wild maybe, but never careless. It's almost dark, Kitchi go and find your cousin" Kamenna ordered her grandson and his friend Abo to look for the young woman.

×××××

Caitlyn's breathing was shallow as she tried to hide her pain. The soldiers had started to move along, giving Caitlyn just enough time to change her hiding space. But as she moved she felt a rush of water between her legs, the water was stained with blood.

"Well, Well, Well what do we have here" one of the soldiers moved some of the branches revealing the woman.

"Help me, please" Caitlyn cried as she held her stomach "My baby"

The soldier nodded, he had felt some compassion towards the young woman. Lifting her up into his arms he carried her away from the camp and further into Fort James.

×××××

"Jesus Christ what's this?" Grace Emberly exclaimed as the soldiers burst into the Ale House "Captain Chesterfield?" Caitlyn guessed this must have been the soldiers name.

"I found her in the woods, she needs help" Chesterfield carried Caitlyn into a bedroom.

"She's with child?" Grace guessed and Chesterfield nodded regretfully "Yours?"

"NO" Chesterfield bellowed in horror "Course not, I found her in the woods, she was hiding from something or someone"

"I see" Grace smiled at Caitlyn "Do you have a name?"

"Its Kathryn" Caitlyn lied "My name is Kathryn"

"Well Kathryn my name is Grace Emberly and I own this Ale house" Grace smiled reassuringly "And while you're here I will help you in any way I can. You have my protection from whoever it is you're running from"

××××

"What do you mean there is no sign of her?" Kamenna cried anxiously "What are we going to tell him? He'll kill us all if any harm comes to her"

Kitchi hung his head in shame as he realised the new danger they were all in now. He knew very well if Caitlyn hadn't been found before Declan Harp returned then his whole tribe would be destroyed...