Chapter 6

Fifty lashes later, Ivy and Branch left. Only Forreston and I were left.

I would never, in my whole life, be able to forget the sound of the whip being drawn out from his belt.

Usually, it was handed to his mother or father, but today, he got to do the honors.

No matter how many times they did this, it always hurt. A lot.

And yet I was determined not to scream. I never did, because they took that as an act of submission and left. And much as I would like that, there was no way I would ever submit to them.

So there I was, biting my lip so hard it was bleeding, while Forreston aimed the whip at my back. The stings burned, and they were perfectly timed, so there was no breathing space to get over one lash before another came.

My back, I was sure, was a bloody mess, the back of my gown torn away. This was the main reason I never wore deep-backed dresses. The scars were all too visible.

"Seventy." Forreston said. I could hear the grin in his voice. Obviously to remind me, because I could not count in my present state. All I could do was cling to the stones of the already bloodied wall and keep from collapsing.

The most they had ever done was five hundred lashes, two years ago, when I had tried to escape with Juniper. I nearly died then.

I didn't even remember it.

It had crossed one hundred.

I could barely keep myself up. My legs were weakening bit by bit, sinking slowly to the more merciful stones. I knew I couldn't hold out much longer.

"Done yet?" Forreston asked mockingly.

"Don't even think about it." I said raggedly, though inside I was screaming 'Yes!' So he continued, until about hundred-forty. I took a ragged gasp as my legs gave away under me.

I collapsed on the stone floor, banging my head, though that was nothing compared to my back. I heard Forreston give a satisfied sigh above me, and I heard his footsteps fading away.

I clutched my side, gasping. I couldn't handle this.

Then I thought of my sisters- mostly Juniper. She gave me strength. Her voice floated back to me, 'El, you can do it! Be brave!'

I heeded her advice, and the last thought I had was, 'This is the man in charge of our Forest.'