Chapter 26

A sweet aroma of honey cakes was floating throughout the house. Arden, Birch and I were sitting on their table, eating, when we heard a door open again.

It wasn't Aiden.

In walked a small, about seven-year-old girl in a white nightdress. She had long, waist-length golden hair, and beautiful sky-blue eyes, unusual for elves. "Daddy!" she squealed, throwing herself at Birch, who picked her up and whirled her around with equal enthusiasm. He set her down with a kiss on the forehead. 

"This is Meadow, our daughter." Grove said. "Hello! Who're you?" Meadow asked politely. "I'm Elvina." I smiled. "Ellie!" she proclaimed excitedly. "If you say so." I agreed.

"Ooh! Honey cakes?" Meadow asked, slipping off her father's lap to the kitchen. "Mm-hmm. And if you want some, tell your daddy he better stop eating before there aren't any left." Grove said, bending down to whisper to Meadow, even though we could all hear.

Meadow giggled before skipping back around and telling Birch sternly, "Mommy says to stop eating now or there won't be any left for me!" "Ah, but then how will I fill my belly?" Birch said dramatically, putting a hand on his stomach.

"I don't know!" Meadow shrugged cutely.

"You can come sit here, Mead." Arden said, scooting his chair to make room for his sister. "Okay!" she nodded happily, coming to our side of the table and jumping up on a chair between Arden and I.

Grove put down a plate of honey cakes in front of her, which she immediately began eating.

After an hour, we had all washed up (I was wearing one of Grove's old gowns, from her 'before marriage' days- something Birch scoffed at and refused to believe was true.). Grove was with Meadow, in their room, and Birch had called Arden and I to their living room.

"So," he began, before he was interrupted by a door creaking open. This time, Aiden walked in yawning. His hair was completely messed up, and he hadn't even tried to look presentable like his brother. "Our late riser." Birch snorted.

"I went to bed late, Dad." Aiden retorted. His eyes flicked to me. "Oh, you're still here." I was taken aback. "So...what happened?" Arden sighed. "Nothing." Aiden said. "What did you do?" Arden said turning to me, sounding amused.

"Nothing." Aiden said, before I could talk. "I'll find out." Arden said teasingly. "No, you will not." Aiden glared.

"Oh, yes I will."

"Oh, no you won't."

"Yes I will."

"No you won't."

"Yes I will." 

"No you won't." 

"Yes I will."

"No you won't."

"Yes I-"  "Are you two twins?" I interrupted, to stop them bickering and to change the topic, and also because I was curious.

Aiden grunted.

"Yes, we are." Arden said, grinning at his brother. "Oh, and that's probably all you're going to be hearing from him today." He added, seeing Aiden's stony expression.

Birch, who had stood silent the whole time, now said, "Well, thank you boys, for giving the Princess a display of how we have three kids in the house, not just one."

Arden glanced sheepishly at me.

"Elvina." I reminded Birch. "Right, not Princess,  Elvina, sorry." he said. "Anyway, Elvina you'll have to get used to this. It's a fixture in our house." he continued.

"So, what were you saying, Dad?" Arden said quickly, before I could respond.

"Well- Aiden, you can listen too."  

Aiden grunted.

"Well, we're going to teach Elvina here the way we use our power." Birch said. I blushed slightly. Surely he knew I had no power and couldn't manipulate the earth like my mother? "Do you mean the way you used the plants yesterday?" I asked, just to clarify. Birch nodded. "Of course."

"Uh, I don't have any power. I can't do that." I said, as calmly as I could. "Nonsense. Every elf has power over the Forest." Birch said briskly.

Aiden grunted.

"No, I really don't." I repeated, feeling the tips of my long ears burn.

"Princess." "Elvina." I interrupted. "Elvina. You think you don't have power, but you do. Every elf  has power over the Forest. It is our birthright. We'll teach you how to use this power. I'll show you, come on."

Without waiting for my reply, he turned and walked out a back door. Arden glanced back at me. "Come on."

Aiden glanced back at me too. To shoot me one last glare before following his father and brother.

I sighed and walked after the boys.