Chapter 79

She was right there.

She stood in a huge chamber, decorated with detailed paintings, a large table at the back, sofas and chairs scattered around- but my eyes were drawn to her. The last I'd seen her was when Aiden and I had escaped. I didn't think she was particularly proud of me.

But she wouldn't recognize me, right? Or at least that's what I tried to tell myself. I dimly registered the sound of the guards leaving, behind us. She stood silent for a moment, observing us. Maple curtsied, and I quickly followed her, bending my head. "Your Highness." Maple said, sounding exactly as a normal maid would in this situation- timid, frightened and yet confident of her purpose. I suppose she knew because she had already been in this situation.

Ivy looked older, her face lined with a few more wrinkles, but still retaining its timeless perfection. Her black hair hit her waist in a straight sheet. She was wearing a long, deep blue gown with silver detailing along the hem and neck. A silver crown shone in her dark hair. Not the crown of a Queen anymore, but the one of Queen Mother. The Queen's crown would be sitting in a highly guarded vault, waiting for Forreston's wife (if he would ever have one).

"So. You are looking for work here?" She said imperiously. In that one statement I heard all the moments of my childhood, always overshadowed by her dark presence. Maple bobbed her head once. "Yes, You Majesty."

"Why?" She asked. Maple quickly told her what she had told the other elf. Ivy nodded. "Am I to understand she is mute?" She asked, nodding at me. My heart twisted with a painful jolt. Maple nodded. "Yes, Queen Mother."

Ivy crossed over to us, walking in quick, long, authoritative steps. My heart beat quickly as she came close to me. She leaned in, looking deep into my eyes. I tried not to breathe or let any emotion show. Then she backed away and leaned close to Maple and looked deep into her eyes. Maple maintained her composure, looking poised.

She walked back a few steps and studied us once more. Then, all of a sudden, she raised her wrist. Dirt rose up from the floor, twining around us and trapping us. It was all I could do not to cry out. "What's happening?" Maple cried, looking at the tendrils of dirt around her.

Ivy's eyes flicked to me. The dirt around me squeezed me tighter and tighter. I took in ragged breaths, but I didn't let myself make a sound. She squeezed, and I felt black spots crossing my eyes. I couldn't take in any air. Maple was pleading, "Stop! Please!"

The pressure lessened, and I fell limp, gasping for breath. Ivy still glared at me suspiciously, but turned her attention back to Maple. The dirt moved all around her and me. Finally she stopped it, and clenched her fist.

The dirt started tightening around Maple. She shrieked with pain. I almost begged for her to stop, but I didn't. I couldn't let myself talk. "Stop!" Maple cried. Ivy's eyes narrowed. "Are you with the rebels?" Maple shook her head frantically. "No!"

"I'm asking again: are you with the rebels?" Ivy repeated. I shook my head. "No, please!" Maple said. Ivy didn't let go, and Maple sank in the dirt till her nose. Ivy glanced at me. I realized she was trying to make me talk. But I couldn't say anything. She would kill us both anyway.

Just when it seemed to late, she relaxed her fingers, and Maple and I both fell to the ground, gasping, as the dirt disappeared. Ivy moved quick as a snake, and grabbed Maple's chin with one hand, tilting it upwards. "Are you loyal to the throne?"

"Yes-" Maple gagged. Ivy let her go and stood up. She was still looking at us suspiciously, but she said, "Very well. Let me remind you that if you are found committing treason, your punishment will be terrible. We will make you an example, like the princess. You know her end? It will be worse than that."

She was talking about me. Was she still pretending I was dead? It appeared so. She glanced down on us and swept out. Maple and I glanced at each other, but nether of us said anything. Just minutes later, the door creaked open again.

Two soldiers came in again. We silently stood up and walked with them, not making eye contact with anyone or anything except the floor. My mother had invented harsher methods for accepting maids into the palace.

The guards took us to a shabbier part of the palace, and led us through hallways, finally ending before a door in the midst of a hallway with many doors, spaced far apart. They left us there, and I finally looked at Maple. She nodded reassuringly and pushed open the door.