Chapter 36

It was becoming dark as we came into sight of a large lake, with an even thinner canopy above it.

I suddenly realized I was caked in dirt and sweat. "Oh good, I need to take a bath." I sighed.

Aiden looked at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Hygiene!"

"All right." I gave him a pointed look. He rolled his eyes and said, "I'm going to be looking for somewhere we can stay in the night. Don't take too long."

He dropped his bag on the floor and unwrapped his long package.

It was a bow.

He pulled out a quiver of arrows from the pack and a towel, too. "Are you always so prepared?" He chuckled and tossed it to me, turning around and walking back into the Forest.

As soon as I was sure he was out of earshot (and sight), I pulled off my clothes quickly, slipping into the lake. I rubbed my arms and legs, washing the dirt off and splashing my face multiple times. When I finally felt clean,  I jumped out, dried myself and wrapped the towel around my body, going towards my clothes.

"Mmm, how beautiful."

I jumped back, my heart beating furiously, my eyes darting around to find whoever had spoken.

That wasn't Aiden's voice.

A man stepped out from behind a tree. My heart stopped. How long had he been there?

He was wearing a plain brown shirt, pants and leather jacket, a bow and quiver slung over his shoulder, which he was now dropping to the floor. He slowly stepped towards me, while I backed away. I tried to scream, but it felt as though my throat was constricted.

He continued walking closer, and I could see the lust filling his eyes. My back slammed into a tree. That was enough for me to find my voice. "Aiden!" I screamed. "AIDEN! HELP!"

He was too close now and I gripped the tree helplessly, still yelling, "HELP! PLEASE! AIDEN!"

Quick as a snake, he slid an arm around my waist. "Aren't you a lovely find?" His  fetid breath swept over my face as I turned it away, desperately struggling against his strong arm, holding my hands to my body.

"Let's have some fun, hmm."

"Stop! Stop, please!"

I could feel the tears slipping down my cheeks as he leaned his face in, and I squeezed my eyes shut, praying for something, anything, that would stop this nightmare.

I could sense his lips almost touching mine when he jerked.

His hand went limp and I opened my eyes in shock to see a bright red line across his throat. He collapsed onto his knees, and I looked past him to see Aiden.