Chapter 89

So far, everything was okay.

We hadn't been apprehended yet, so I assumed none of the girls had betrayed us. When we went to the library, Maple told the others to be safe, and to stay in their rooms. Lotus nodded, but Begonia and Celosia looked suspicious.

I couldn't focus on that, though. The closer the attack came, the more often I quivered with fear and nervousness, but then, in the last hour, I grew calm. Because whatever happened it would soon be over, right? Like the calm before a storm.

The eclipse had begun about twenty minutes ago, but we couldn't see the sun from the library. Though we had noticed the sky beginning to darken. And they had figured out it was a eclipse. Though they weren't that worried, of course.

Finally, twenty-five minutes before the total eclipse, I exchanged a glance with Maple. She started coughing immediately. We all turned to her. She sank to her knees, still coughing, putting her hand on her chest. "Are you okay?" Lotus said hastily. I tapped Lotus on the arm, gesturing first to myself, then to the doors. She seemed to understand immediately. "You'll take her to the infirmary?" I nodded quickly, and helped Maple up.

Warily, we started walking out. She continued coughing until we were out of earshot of the library. Then she straightened up and we started walking quickly, but not too fast, so as to not arouse any suspicion.

Then a shadow fell across our path. We looked up in unison to see Mrs. Arum tottering towards us. "Where are you two going?" She demanded. I exchanged a glance with Maple, and she said quickly, "Mrs. Arum, my sister doesn't feel too well. I'm taking her to the infirmary."

Mrs. Arum glared at us suspiciously. I tried to clutch my stomach and look queasy. Not too hard. After what seemed like an eternity, she said, "Alright. Go." Thankfully, she walked away, and Maple and I hurried towards the room where the boys would be waiting. I made sure to clutch my stomach and look uneasy, though.

Soon, we reached the room. There were few guards, but we tried to look authoritative, like we had every right to be there. Maple pushed open the door, and I shut it quickly. A torch blew on the moment the door clicked shut, lighting up Aiden and Arden. I ignored the jolt my heart felt, though. We had to move on with our job.

They nodded at us. I looked at Aiden once and saw determination in his eyes. This task was first. Anything else would come second. It was a sentiment I understood and appreciated. Arden looked nervous, yet confident. The brothers were different, but I could sense their common resolve.

"What are we doing?" Maple whispered. "There's a back door. We go out. Try to act normal. We make our way to the Queen's room just before the Sun is covered. The rebels will have been seen by then, so we take out the guards- try to keep your disguise, though I don't think it'll matter much even if everyone sees who you really are- and then go in. Whatever happens, we need to think on our feet and be careful." Aiden said. This was the first time I had heard of said back door.

I had a question. "What about Forreston? It's important we kill him!" "I heard the rebels discussing something about him. He's going to be taken care of." Arden answered. "And they made no plans for the Queen?" I asked. Something about that didn't seem quite right. "Of course they did. But we're going to be there first." Aiden said. "Oh, and take these. We stole them." Arden said, passing me two swords and Maple one. "Thanks." She said. I slipped the swords into my sleeves.

I nodded. We were silent for a minute or two, when Aiden said, "Let's go. You two go out first, then Arden and I will." We nodded at them , and Maple and I walked out from the other door (which I couldn't believe I had known nothing about) and strode confidently down the corridor. We both knew where Ivy's room was.