Chapter 44

Aiden grabbed my hand.

We were scrambling down the hill towards the village, trying to stay out of sight. And the hill was very, very rocky.

He held my hand to balance himself, balancing me as well. My cheeks were red from exertion. Somehow, under the disguise, I could still see Aiden. I didn't know if he could see me. I missed my bright green eyes and my long, red hair.

Aiden had curled his hair (using the essence of a curly vine), but had left it brown. His eyes were blue. My eyes were blue as well, and my hair was not curly, short, and brown (taken from the essence of the bark of  nearby tree). We looked similar enough to be mistaken for siblings, or perhaps even twins.

I did not want to look like Aiden's sibling. 

We finally reached the village. "Pull your hood on." Aiden instructed. He'd found two brown cloaks in his bag, covering us quite well. "Alright, if anyone asks, we are Agapanthus and Lobelia Delphinium." I nodded. We kept our head down as we walked through, not drawing much attention. Aiden seemed to know where he was going.

All around us, villagers scurried to complete their daily chores, though it was late. A girl and a younger boy ran inside the door of a small cottage. Two elf women walked by, carrying buckets of water, chattering quietly.

Then I realized that the quick pace the elves were using wasn't because they wanted to go home. I saw people shooting furtive looks at the many soldiers lining the streets. Aiden and I quickened our pace too, attempting to blend in.

Aiden walked on, turning right and left. I didn't know where he was going. He finally stopped in front of  a dingy shop, looking like it didn't have many customers. The name of the shop, written in block letters, was too dusty to read. He glanced at me once, and pushed open the door.

Inside was a small man, white-haired, arranging books on shelves on the far side of the shop. It was a bookshop, but all the books were covered with a thick layer of dust, like they hadn't been touched in quite some time.

The man looked around at the sound of the opening door. His eyes narrowed with curiosity seeing us. He left the books and walked towards us. "May I help you?" Aiden lowered his hood. Taking his example, I did the same.

"Yes." Aiden said. "We're here for  a book. Ribella Revuelta." It must have been code for something because the man's eyes widened and his knees started shaking. "R...really?" Aiden nodded. He glanced past Aiden, focusing on me.

"Then...this is her?"

Aiden nodded again. The man's eyes filled with tears as he clasped his hands together. "Oh, Nalvia, I never thought I'd witness this day. Princess Elvina! It is an honor. Acer Glen, at your service." I smiled. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Your here for the passage, I suppose?" He asked, turning back to Aiden, who nodded in reply. "This way, please." As he turned to show us, I heard sounds of shouting from outside.

I turned instinctively, running out the door. I heard Aiden and Acer shouting after me, but I didn't listen.

A small boy raced past me, clutching something in his hand. Guards were chasing him, spears held out. "Stop!" I shouted.

Everything stopped.

The boy froze, the guards froze, and the people who had been running to get home, like their lives depended on it now, froze where they were. "What's happening?" I said. "Who are you?" One of the guards called. I felt my heart thumping wildly under my cloak. Aiden and Acer stood at the door of the shop, unable to do anything.

Too late to back out now.

"What's going on?" I repeated. "He stole bread! Thieving isn't tolerated here!" Another guard yelled. I looked back at the boy. He looked no more than six. He was trembling painfully, clutching a small loaf of bread behind his back. He was alarmingly thin and obviously hadn't eaten for days. "I'll pay for him!" I called, with a quick glance at Acer.

He went into his shop and came out with a handful of coins, which he gave to me. I held them out to the guards. "You can't do that, miss. He has to pay. And he'll pay well." A third guard said, glaring at the poor boy. "I'm paying for him so let him go!" I cried.

"Why do you care anyway? Get out of the way or you'll be arrested for aiding a thief." Another warned. "If I'm paying for him, he isn't a thief!" The elves along the walls mumbled things I couldn't make out, but I doubted they were on the guards's side.

The guard in front shouted, "Then we have no choice! You'll be arrested as well!" He thrust out his hands, and a wall of rock rose and raced towards me. The cries from the villagers distracted me, and as the wall was about to collapse on me, it was shattered by a gust of air.

I looked beside me to see Aiden, his eyes lightening to dark green, his hair losing it's curliness, his hands held out.

"Rebels." The guard hissed.