Chapter 40

"Stop!" Aiden yelled, finally breaking through his gag.

"Choices, choices." Ivy cooed, looking between us. I was shoved to the ground by one of her minions. In an instant, snow enveloped me, sapping my strength. I groaned from the ground, not having enough strength to get up again.

"Why are you doing this?" Aiden shouted.

Ivy's eyes darkened. "I have my reasons." The lackey kicked me once for good measure, and walked back to his position among the trees, leaving Ivy, Aiden and I in the middle of the circle. I put a hand to my ribs, knowing there would be a bruise.

"Stop! Leave her alone!" Aiden screamed.

Ivy's eyes flicked to him. "All the better, then."

She raised her right hand, pointing her index finger at him, and instantly, the branches began to squeeze him tighter, strangling him. I could see him gasping for breath.

He was going to die.

"NO!" I screamed.

Silence.

When I opened my eyes, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. All the snow from the ground- from miles away too, it seemed, had melted into water, risen up, and had enveloped Ivy and her five men. The branches around Aiden had fallen away and were poised pointing towards them, waiting.

I looked at Aiden, now completely free, shocked. He looked even more surprised than I felt. "Did you do this?" I yelled, standing up.

He shook his head. "No! It must be-" He didn't finish, but I knew what he was going to say.

Me.

Not possible. "No, it must be you, I-" Then I realized how strong I felt, the constant hum of a migraine about to come- gone. I was standing taller, straighter, confident.

I had done this.

Yes. You are my Chosen One. Use your power.

Words brushed through my head, in a voice so ethereal and eternal I knew instantly who it was. Nalvia? I asked silently. Go. The reply came immediately, and I felt hollowness in my head again, and I knew she had gone.

"We have to go! Come on!" I cried to Aiden, who shot a glance at the now-unconscious Ivy and her men, and raised his hands.

Wind rushed past us and under us, lifting me up and carrying me forward.

He grinned. "Now this I did."