Chapter 3: Survivor

Eloise sat in the darkness, sitting silently beside the bed in a hard wicker chair. Her thoughts never left the injured man who lay in her bed. She focused on the sounds of his steady breaths, counting each one she heard in the stillness of the night. Her eyes felt heavy in the darkness, aching for rest that she knew would not come.

She had slept for what seemed like minutes, her brain scattered with wild images of worse case scenarios, when she was awaken to the violent scream of the man. Her eyes could focus on the shadow of his square form in the darkness. Sitting upright in the rickety bed, he frantically looking around the dark room. She lit a nearby candle, creating enough light to shine onto the distraught man. The paleness in his skin illuminated as the light struck his fair complexion. Sweat beaded against his forehead.

"You are alright, sir," Eloise calmly called out to him as she leaned closer to him. "You have sustained some injuries, but other than that you are alive."

                He stared at her, his eyes filled with distrust. His hands began to pat violently over his body; searching for his pistol, Eloise assumed.

                "I am not here to hurt you." Her voice remained soft. "I am tending to your injuries, that is all. When you are well you can return to your unit."

                The nerviness in his body seemed to vanish when she rested her hand lightly upon his tensed shoulder. Comfortingly, she pulled the old, worn blankets back over his chilling body and pressed a cloth against his sweating forehead.

                "See, sir," her voice halted, letting her eyes meet his. "I don't wish to hurt you."

                A slight smile formed at the corner of his mouth, bringing a sense of ease to Eloise. She knew how confused he must have felt, lying beside a stranger in an unknown place. He brought his hand up to hers and wrapped it around hers firmly.

                "What is your name?" His voice trembled as he spoke.

                Eloise stared at him for several seconds, studying his face carefully. The blueness of his eyes held her in a trance. His face was well-defined and chiseled into a stern expression.

                "You may address me as Ellie." She finally replied, looking down at her lap. Her untrusting ways forced her to remain anonymous to the stranger. She could not risk her name being passed around the German camps in fear that they would find her hideaway.

                He raised a brow in confusion. "Ellie, is that the only name you possess?." he stared blankly at the ceiling as his hands found their way to his chest, intertwining his long fingers upon his breast. "Do you know who you are aiding, ma'am?"

                "No, sir." Eloise shook her head. "I can't say that I am familiar with many soldiers."

                He repositioned his bandaged head and stared at Eloise in silence. "I am Captain Albert von Brandt. Son of Wolfgang von Brandt, former General of the Ulhans. I am the captain of the flying squadron known to the grounded world as 'die fürchteten Flyer' (the feared flyers)," He paused to take a deep breath. "I am in a great debt of service to you, ma'am, for saving my life."

                Eloise looked at him puzzled. "You don't owe me anything, sir." She rose from the chair, making her way to the corner of the dimly lit room. "Be thankful that I was not an enemy." Swiftly, she took a cup of water to his bedside, helping him to drink of the cool liquid.

                "You are a supporter of the Germany?" He asked, confused of her manner.

"I don't support anyone in this godforsaken war." Eloise bluntly replied, hoping to end the conversation. She felt uneasy talking to the man, unsure of what he could be capable of. His hard stare was intimidating to her.