Chapter 25: The Road to the Right

A cool gust of air danced through the field hospital. Eloise walked beside the remaining patients, hoping that no more casualties would come from the front. Three months of bitter bloodshed had taken a toll on the soldiers and the nurses. She did not know how much more pain she could bear for the soldiers.

The limbless man caught her eye from across the room. Desperate attempts to pull his blanket ended in failure. She rushed to his side and with a gentle hand she pulled the thick blanket around his body. His disfigured face formed a thankful smile. She patted him reassuringly before continuing on.

The sight of disfigured patients wore heavy on her mind. Her heart ached for their pitiful conditions, knowing that their lives were forever changed.

"They say that victory has come for the British and Canadians at Passendale." Adeline's voice spoke from nearby.

A look of pleasure was on her face, along with the other women nearby. Pleasant chatter, a sound that had became scarce, started amongst the women. Eloise could not help but to smile. For once in months, there was momentary peace.

The clicking of boot heels drew Eloise's attention to the door. Standing in the frame was a Canadian officer. The sight of him alone made her stomach turn. Officers during the day often brought news, usually unwanted by the nurses and patients.

Eloise patted Adeline and motioned at the man. He stood perfectly poised as he studied the area he had entered. His eyes roamed over the crowd of people until they locked on Eloise. An unnerving pit began to form in her stomach. She watched him carefully as he steadily maneuvered toward them. His eyes held a hardened stare as he approached her.

"Are you Eloise?" the man asked gruffly, removing the uniform cap from his head.

"Yes, sir." She hesitantly replied, followed by a meek nod.

His hands dove into a pocket and retrieved a letter. "I am Major Wilson here on behalf of General Thomas Ramsay. This letter has been delivered to request your immediate service at the aid station."

His voice paused as he placed the paper into her hands. Eloise unfolded the note and read the words closely. A list of needed supplies had been compiled. Beneath the scribbled words was a location. As she continued to read, her eyes grew wide with disbelief. Her orders were written below. She felt her heart sank at the clearly instructed words. General Ramsay had called upon herself and Adeline to deliver the supplies to the station.

"Can you not deliver the supplies, sir?" She desperately asked, looking back down at the paper in disbelief. "I have a son that I simply cannot leave. General Ramsay knows this."

The man shook his head, "No, ma'am. My orders are to go to the next hospital to retrieve our recovered soldiers. I will not be returning in the direction of General Ramsay."

"Sir." Eloise whispered; Her voice almost pleading.

She reached the paper to Adeline, who immediately reacted. "This is preposterous! Can we not send them with someone else?"

"Ma'am, it is not my place to change the orders of General Ramsay. He has given me instructions. I am only the messenger."

Eloise nodded, resting a gentle hand on Adeline. "How long will it take?"

"It should take no longer than a day. You should not run into any fire, either. As of right now, the fighting in the area has ceased. You are to only deliver the supplies, nothing more."

Many thoughts ran through the mind of Eloise. She shared a glance with Adeline and shrugged. The orders had been made; nothing could be done.

"It will be a couple miles of a straight road. You will see the remnants of farmland." The man instructed simply. "You should come to a road that forks. Be sure you take the road to the left. The road to the right will go into a forest that leads straight into German territory."