Chapter 32: Confessions of Mrs. Ramsay

"Mrs. Ramsay..." the soft voice of the reporter forced Eloise to return to the present.

                Eloise opened her eyes and stared at the journalists intently. Her mind remained in the past, thinking only about her life story she relived. Her eyes roamed over the crowd ogling people. She could not describe the emptiness she felt as she looked at the strangers. Her eyes glanced at Ulrich who was seated beside her.

                "I should have told you sooner, son." She spoke to Ulrich taking him by the hand.

                "Its alright, mother." He smiled reassuringly at her, placing a kiss onto her wrinkled hand. "I know it pains you to recall the past."

                "May I ask a few more questions, ma'am?" the journalist asked, leaning toward them.

                Eloise let out a sigh and nodded, "I suppose."

"Since Germany collapsed in the upcoming years, are you happy with how it all ended?"

                Eloise thought for a moment, "I am content with the way it ended. At the time I was angry, but it took years to understand that Albert was better off to go the way he did. He loved his country and he died for it, but he would not have liked what happened to it in the following years."

                "Did you ever return to Germany?"

                Eloise shook her head, "I did not. I sent several photographs of Ulrich to Melina before the Reich banished them. I often times wonder what happened to his family during the Reich. To this day I don't know anything about them. I heard that Augustus was killed in an accident a year after the war ended, but I do not know.  They were good people who were trapped in a bad world."

                "When did you begin your relationship with General Ramsay?"

                "I married Thomas Ramsay a year after the war ended. I had one son with him," her breath suddenly hitched, "but he was killed during the next war. Thomas returned as a medical general where he, too, was killed in action saving a young boy. It was a sniper that took his life." Eloise paused, shutting her eyes tightly. "I told them not to go, but they wouldn't listen."

                "I learned to love Thomas in a different way. He was a gentle soul who had saw much heartache. I guess that is why we could understand each other so well." She smiled, "All we knew was heartache. For a while we helped each other forget about pain. After he died, I only had Ulrich."

                Ulrich squeezed her hand, "Mother you can stop if you like. No one will make you continue."

                "If the war had took my Ulrich, I could not have gone on living." she remarked, smiling at her son. "He has always given me my purpose for life. When I look at him, I see my Albert and I remember what love felt like."

                "How have you managed to continue life with such heartbreak?"

                "I suppose some of us are fated to live a life of loss, but we fated ones must learn how to live with it in the best way." Eloise nodded, "They called them fearless knights of the sky, but they were just young men trying to survive a war." Eloise sighed, studying each person around. "We were all just trying to survive. No one person is a hero in war. I did my part in the way I had to. I am no better than any woman who was a nurse. In your article, be sure to credit real heroes in it. That is all I have to say to you today. Surely you have something to work with."

                The journalist jotted down words onto their pads. One by one shook her hand and left the room.

                "Thank you for your time. The story you have given us is exquisite. I am certain that it will be popular among our readers." The woman spoke softly, outstretching her arms.

                Eloise gently fell into an embrace with the woman, who began to cry. "I wish you the best, Eloise. You deserve best for the rest of your life."

                "Thank you."

                The woman offered a single nod before filing out with the other journalists. Eloise glanced outside the window, seeing the day had dwindled into darkness. A sigh escaped her lips, while her mind fixated on her rediscovered past.

                "You should rest, mother." Ulrich said as he pressed a soft kiss onto her head, "I will be back tomorrow."

                A smile appeared onto her face as she patted Ulrich on the cheek. "My dearest Ulrich." She softly whispered, "I love you so much. Never forget that."

                "I love you, too. Thank you for everything you did for me," Ulrich nodded, rising from his chair. "I don't think I ever told you that."

                "Don't thank me. It is what a mother does." She replied, nearing the bed. "I believe I am going to sleep for a while. This day has tired me greatly."

                Ulrich watched her carefully as she crawled into the bed. "Goodbye mother."

                She smiled at him with clouded eyes, "Goodbye my son."

                As she closed her eyes, her mind filled with the thoughts of Albert. In her dreams she could almost feel his touch. His voice reassured her of her life. She hoped to never wake up from her sleep, for she wanted to remain with Albert. For the first time in years, her heart had finally found its way back home.