Chapter 29: The Truth of Albert

"Under loves heavy burden do I sink..." the words of Shakespeare passionately rolled from her lips as she turned the page.

                The tired eyes of the soldiers watched her intently as she continued to read. Rain pattered against the windowpanes, creating an orchestra for her emotions to follow. Her audience remained riv

                "...this wound keeps me down I can't leap any higher than my dull sadness. I sink under the heavy weight of love."

                Her mind immediately travelled to the image of Moritz, resurfacing a painful memory. She quickly shut the book with a snap and laid it in her lap. Her eyes surveyed the faces of the men, making her heart break more.

"Thank you for your attention, gentlemen, but I think I am going to stop for the day."

                Ignoring their disproval, she rose from where she sat and took Ulrich into her arms. Her eyes locked onto the child, reminding her of the man she loved. Her thoughts removed Moritz and focused on Albert.

She pressed a soft kiss onto his cheek and left the room, which soon became engulfed with joyous chatter. For a moment she turned to look at the commotion, wondering what news could bring such a reaction. Her heart leaped with slim excitement, hoping that the war had ceased.

In the distance she caught a glimpse of Adeline who hesitantly neared them. An unusual somberness was present in her eyes. Eloise studied the woman's peculiar behavior. In her hands, she could see a newspaper folded.

                "Have you heard, Eloise?"

                A look of confusion came over Eloise as she shook her head, "Heard what? Has the war finally came to an end?"

                Adeline let out a long sigh before reaching her paper to Eloise. Bold letters read Top German Ace Killed. Eloise felt her heart begin to pound violently as she continued reading. In the print, she saw the words she dreaded to most. She felt her knees weaking as she read the words again. As she opened her mouth to speak, nothing could escape. A lump began to form in the back of her throat, holding back the emotions that were bursting within her.

The world around her instantly stopped. Where she once felt the beating of her heart, she felt a cold emptiness consume the space. Her gaze found Ulrich, who remained happy. The sight of Ulrich broke her, for she could only see the face of Albert looking back at her. She felt hot tears pricking at her eyes as she looked around. Her eyes fell shut, hoping that she could regain her composure.

"I am truly sorry for your loss." Adeline finally whispered, pulling her into a sympathetic embrace.

Eloise remained stiff, refusing any comfort. "I think I should take Ulrich and be alone for a while."

"I am not sure if being alone is a wise decision for you right now." She remarked with concern. "Why don't you come and stay with me for a while. I would feel better knowing that I could see you."

"No." Eloise's response was sharp as she turned away from Adeline.

She hurriedly fled the open area, ignoring any remarks toward her. She rushed past people without any acknowledgment. Strange looks from bystanders followed her up the stairs, where she disappeared within the sanctuary of her room.

The dimly lit room eased her whirling mind. Her breathing intensified as her memory recalled the newspaper. Her heart denied what her mind knew as true. She placed a gentle kiss upon Ulrich's head, hugging him securely.

"We will laugh when the war is over," she hoarsely whispered, taking her lower lip into her teeth. "Albert will be alive and come for us. This will be a dreadful misunderstanding."