Chapter 17: Prisoner to the Hospital

Eloise was awoken upon the arrival to the field hospital. Addled, she propped herself up glancing around confused. The length of time she had remained unconscious was unknown, as was the land in which they had arrive. She could see red cross flags flying vibrantly against the bright blue sky. The forced smiles of weary, wounded men were returned by the well-dressed nurses that roamed the area freely. An entire working community was before her eyes. The men quickly unloaded her and took her into a bustling building.

The echoes of people's chatter overshadowed any sounds of pain. She was placed upon an operating table, that was quickly surrounded by medical personnel. Her eyes fixated on the ceiling. The magnificent art that covered the surface was calming to her winding mind. She knew that the building was once a glorious church. They undressed her body and draped her with a white sheet. The remaining blood soaked through the clean fabric, staining it dark red.

Her wounds were visible against her pale skin. The bleeding had ceased and caked on her skin. The nurse began to pour cold water over the holes. The intensity of the pain caused Eloise to gasp for a breath. The surgeon and the nurse exchanged a dreadful expression. She watched the nurse with desperation as she retrieved a vile of morphine. Patiently, she waited for the calming sensation of the medicine to eliminate her pain; but before she could be relieved the surgeon waved the nurse's idea away and placed the needle back onto the table. She felt her heart sink, knowing that her pain was just beginning.

The nurse gently placed her hands against Eloise's shoulders, calming her tensed body. She then inserted a thick piece of leather into her mouth. Eloise knew that the object was the only pain relief she was getting. In an instant, the man began to retract the metal bits from her flesh, dropping them into a bowl nearby. The plinking of the shrapnel echoed in her ears. She could feel every move the man made. The nurse placed a cold cloth against her face. It soaked up the sweat that poured freely from her face. She could not help but to close her eyes, longing for the pain to end. Soon, everything around her grew dark and she felt nothing more...

Eloise forced her eyes open. The bright lights caused her to squint as she looked around the room. Injured men filled the rows of beds. White-clad nurses roamed through the cramped mazes of beds, aiding the patients. She immediately shut her eyes. What she had once thought to have been a dream had proved to be a bitter reality. She could feel dull aches throughout her body, recalling the injuries she had sustained. She did not know how long she had been unconscious, but she could not remember the exact procedures she had received in the care of the British.

Nervously, she lifted the white linen sheet, fearing that her leg would be gone. She reached down and touched her bandaged appendage, thankful that it was in its proper place. Her hand found its way to her shoulder, which was also heavily wrapped. The pains that came with them did not leave. The dull pains that came with the wounds remained constant, surging throughout her entire body.

Her eyes instantly went to the patients around her. She hoped more than anything to see a familiar face, yet they were all strangers who had reservations about her. Their uncaring faces and hateful expressions offered her no comfort as she remained beside them. Their voices communicated among themselves, yet she knew not a word they spoke.

"You know are lucky to be alive."

Eloise's eyes grew wide when she heard the familiar sound of the German language. The lady who had previously been her nurse stood before her holding a pail of water. Her eyes gleamed with cheer. A tender smile appeared on her face as she slowly approached Eloise.

"I am Adeline," She introduced herself, "and I am your nurse. They told me that you are a German woman."

Eloise nodded without speaking.