Chapter 12: The Transfer Papers

Albert lit a match in the darkness and lit the nearby candle upon his desk, illuminating a small area around him. The vanishing morning darkness from the outside penetrated into his quarters. His eyes traveled amidst the stillness of the room and eased down at the desk. He propped his elbows up upon the cold wood, staring blankly at the brown envelope he clutched in his hands. The letter had arrived in the early morning hours and with every passing second of the dawn he dreaded to read the contents that the message held. The fancy penmanship on the outside did not bring comfort, knowing that someone with a status had sent him the letter. He reached for the silver watch that was placed strategically upon his black leather gloves. His long fingers clicked open the front. The hands read five-thirty.

He could no longer hold the letter, the angst in the unknown was killing him inside. Carefully he slid the brown paper open and began to view the contents.

To Albert von Brandt,

I was very displeased to hear that you had gotten injured once again, but I am glad to know that you survived. Without you, we would not have a star pilot to encourage our men on the western front. I assume that in this past few weeks you have become well enough to fly once more. Since this assumption, I am informing you, along with the rest of your squadron that you will be relocated soon. Also, your younger brother has graduated from jastaschule and he will be taking a place in your unit squadron. I hope that this news finds you well. I will send more information when I learn of it. Stay safe and fly high.

Signed,

General Ernst von Deidrick

He laid the paper down on the table and stared at it. Everything was happening so fast. The stress of knowing his brother's life would be at risk made him begin to worry, as well as the news of relocating. Transferring was usually easy for him; but in that moment, it was the one thing he dreaded greatly. He tugged anxiously at the bottom of his lip, thinking silently to himself. What could make him feel in such a way, he wondered?

His eyes began to circle around the dimly lit area and locked on the handkerchief that was slightly showing from his uniform pocket. In an instant, he reached out and took it into his possession. His gentle touch ran across the dainty embroidered E on the corner. His eyes shut tightly as he clutched it into his hand, thinking of Eloise. His mind began to wonder how she would react to his news. He wondered why he cared so much about her opinion. He had only been acquainted with her for four months, yet he felt like he had known her all of his life.

He sat in silence for a great amount of time, recalling back many memories he had stored. He was never a man to express feelings. In fact, he avoided anything that sparked emotion; but in that moment something felt different inside him. He had used plenty of time to think about his current state. He was a bachelor who stayed alone most of the time and generally felt nothing. When Eloise came around him it was as if she lit up the world around him and he was no longer in the night.

After the time passed with his own internal thoughts, he knew that he didn't want to leave his current location without having Eloise to return to. He knew that he wanted to see the rest of his time with her and hoped she wanted the same.

"Captain!" A familiar voice called from the opening of the tent, jolting him back to reality.

Albert quickly released the cloth and looked over his shoulder. The shadow of Moritz loomed in the opening. Albert could see that Moritz already wore his flying gear and was ready to embark on his daily mission.

"Three is my goal today, sir." Moritz announced confidently, straightening the goggles that were atop his dark hair. "The other men have also set their goals for the morning excursion, as well."