Twenty Seven

Since I had the answer to all my confusion, I decided to turn this night into what I'd initially told the boys about, them getting to know my two closest friends. They'd already met my mother so I doubted there was anything Violet or Troy could do that could drive them away.

The tension between Troy and Ivan was evident for the first few minutes until Ivan finally realized Violet was Troy's girlfriend. Violet shot me a wink when she noticed all the jealousy and I blushed red. Despite the tension deflating, the two didn't seem to be opening up anytime soon. After all, Troy and Ivan were on opposite sides of the spectrum. I didn't expect it to happen. To top it off, Ivan wasn't one to open us easily to anyone.

Mikhail and Troy's tempers were very alike and it was no surprise that the two of them were involved in some discussion about school within minutes after walking in. They were currently sitting on the floor talking while eating pizza. Ivan occasionally chipped in, probably for my sake but mostly stuck to Alexei's side. I couldn't help but laugh quietly to myself seeing how uncomfortable he looked meeting new people.

The highlight of the evening, however, was Alexei, Violet and Ivan's dynamic. The three of them together were the oddest trio I'd ever seen and watching them was far more interesting than the movie that was playing. They were currently sitting in a row on the couch with boredom most predominantly emanating from the three of them.

"So, how long have you two known Roe," asked Violet, faking a look of disinterest as she kept her eyes fixed on the TV. I guess Ivan had already rubbed off on her the wrong way. The tension between him and Troy had after all been obvious they'd laid eyes on each other. Violet may seem to be a chilled girlfriend, but she was always defensive of Troy except when it came to me.

"Not long," Ivan answered with the same amount of disinterest as he looked at the TV as well. Neither of them appeared to even know what the film was about. Alexei sat between them with sly amusement written all over his features. I wouldn't be surprised if he got himself a video camera to record the whole thing. I had a half a mind to do so myself.

"How long have you known her," Ivan asked to my surprise. I'd never expected him to initiate a conversation with anyone. He sounded like he was just learning to talk.

"Longer than you," Violet bit back with a grin and I put a hand to my mouth to contain my laughter. The chances of these two getting along were about as likely as the world ending in the next minute. I could also see a friendship blooming between them sometime in the future, or perhaps a sibling bond of sorts. Ivan was just a bit hard to get to know but who knows, maybe they'd eventually get along.

"I can practically see the friendship brewing between the two of you," said Alexei sarcastically as he snuggled further into the couch. Despite the fact that he couldn't see them, his face still flicked from side to side like he was watching a tennis match. He was getting such a kick out of this.

"Well we are making an effort," Violet said and Alexei laughed out loud, pretending to wipe tears from the corners of his eyes. 

"No that's making an effort. You two look like someone's holding a gun to your heads," he said, gesturing to Mikhail and Troy. To his surprise, both of Violet and Ivan unanimously told him to shut up before looking at each other in absolute shock. I suppose that had been the first thing they'd agreed on since they'd gotten here. Who knows, maybe they'd bond with the help of Alexei sometime in the future.

"As much as I'm loving the affection I'm receiving from both of you, I think I'm going to go join my beautiful girl," he said as he rose from the couch. I clutched his hand as he walked past me and he moved to sit down beside me, his long legs sprawled out in front of him. His one leg knocked the coffee table and he bit back a wince. I almost forgot sometimes that he couldn't see, until he did little things like that.