Part I Side Story - A Mother's Circumstances

***Azariah**

How did this happen? The ground was completely stained in red and the reek of blood spread out.

"Take the women and the children alive, and kill the men!" A soldier shouted.

Dead bodies could be seen everywhere. There were those who had been killed trying to protect their loved ones and those who ended their own life, refusing to be captured. But all of them were my friends, my family.

Completely powerless, I'm staring blankly at the corpse in my arms. It was a young male elf. His beautiful green hair had been stained by the red color of his own blood and his eyes were lifeless. I placed my hands on his throat were a clean deep cut could be seen.

'Rakiel...'

He died instantly, before bleeding out, having his neck severed. At least, he didn't suffer... The screams of women losing their husband and the cries of children snatched from their parents could be heard. I know I should be running away, but as I watch the lifeless body in my arms, I can't seem to find any strength. Everything just looks so unreal. Until yesterday, we were still laughing together.

"Take this one." The dry order of a human soldier forced me to come to my senses and realize the slaughter. This is reality. As another human soldier pulled my arm, forcing me to get up, his superior inspected me with his lustful eyes.

"Good. This one will be worth a lot."

Darkness suddenly erupted as the world collapsed. Everything was now completely and utterly silent.

◊◊◊◊◊

"Miss?" A low voice called out.

A dream...

I abruptly opened my eyes and saw the face of an old man. That's right, he's one of the attendants of the family.

"Sorry to wake you up, but it's time. The young master is waiting for you", he said.

"Thank you..." I answered.

It's been a little more than six months since I arrived in Eskor, the capital city of Agraal. Currently, I'm staying in the main residence of the Whiteheart family, together with my two children. But it's not the first time I'm here, I used to live here too a couple years ago.

I hate this place. The only person who used to appease a little all the negative feelings that this place gives me already disappeared a long time ago. Now, only unhappy memories remain. Still, I'm living here. This is a price I have to pay to protect my family.

Guided by the attendant, I'm heading to a small room of the mansion, where my son Aoban is waiting for me. We're actually not blood related, but I've raised him for as long as I can remember. Upon entering the room, I notice the small boy rushing towards me with a huge smile on his face.

"Mother! How do I look?" He asked as he span around, showing off his beautiful silken garments.

"Good." I answered him with a gentle smile. "You look like your father."

I could tell his embarrassment by the look on his face and by his cheeks that flushed pink.

"I-Is that so?" He said as he tried to suppress a proud smile. "Where is Lyni?"

"The young Lady should be coming soon", the attendant answered. "I've already sent a maid to look after her."

Today, we're celebrating Aoban's seventh birthday. Before the festivities, I planned to go on a walk with my two children. We're not allowed to go out, so we will only be in the garden, but it will be the first outing in a while I had with my family.