Chapter 16

Warning: This chapter contains strong language.

"Dad?" I tried to hide the quiver in my voice, but I knew it did no good.

"Where were you? Do you know what t-today is?" He hiccuped and I could hear his voice starting to slur.

"Dad, put down the blade. It's me. Daytona." I raised my hands up and took a step back slowly.

"Yea, yea I know who you are. You're the girl who destroyed this family, you killed Cooper and worst of all, you're my fucking stupid daughter." Tears started to pool in my eyes again.

"I- I didn't kill Cooper Dad." He turned the knife around in his hands, not once looking at me.

I took a few more steps back but my dad matched them. "Had you not been out whoring around, your brother wouldn't have had to leave to get you."

I froze in my spot ready to defend myself, "I'm not a whore Papa." My voice cracked when I said the name I used to call him as a child.

"Don't you dare call me Papa." His voice went flat and his eyes were hard.

My chest hurt and I sank to the floor, sobbing into my hands. I was mumbling to myself over and over, trying to make myself believe that I didn't kill Cooper.

But the truth was, I did.

Had I not taken his car behind his back, had I not tried to take on more than I could handle, had I not drank away my feelings, and most of all had I been a better person, Cooper would still be here and my dad wouldn't be how he was.

My father's footsteps grew closer and closer, but I didn't make a move to get away.

He got down close to my ear and spoke into it, "You are the worst thing that ever happened to me. I despised you from the minute you were born."

I didn't want it to be true, but I knew it was.

As a kid my dad never attended things I was in, he never did anything with me. My mom always had to do double in order to make up for what my dad didn't do.

"You should've been the one to die that night, not your brother. He had so much going for him, and you took it all away. So, in return, I'll take you away."

He grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked me towards him, then pulled my hands away from my face.

I watched in terror as my father brought the blade up to my throat. I could feel the coolness of the metal as it touched my skin, and I could feel the sting as it started to slide down my neck.

But suddenly, he stopped.

He took the blade away from my throat and walked away. "Ah fuck, what am I doing. I can't go to jail." He turned back to me. "Get out of here. I don't want you stepping foot inside of this house until tomorrow, understood."

Nodding my head, I quickly got up and ran to the door. Once my hand was on the handle I threw the door open and ran outside, not even bothering to turn back around and close the door.

In my moment of terror, I absent-mindedly ran away, not even bothering to go in my car, or grab my keys.

I had only been gone for about ten minutes, but I knew I couldn't go back, not even for my car. So I made my way towards Logan's house, hoping he had gone straight home after school.

By the time I had reached his house, it was already dark outside.

My teeth were clattering as I walked up to Logan's front door and knocked on it.