Chapter 35 - pt. 2

My blood froze.

No, no, no, no, no! Anyone but them!

Even without looking up, I could tell you who it was. After all, he had haunted my dreams, keeping me up at night, robbing me of desperate sleep.

A brunette grinned down at me, his teeth impossibly white and straight. His golden skin, still taunting me. Micah's baby blue eyes seemed to be full of compassion, something he was not.

Supporting Micah's weight, was none other than Colton himself. His green eyes seemed to be even greener under the bright fluorescent lights.

I clenched my jaw and narrowed my eyes, "What the hell do you want?" I spat. Venom twirled in my voice, hitting my target.

Micah flinched back at my words as if they had physically stung him.

"To talk to you obviously. Why else waste my time at a dump like this." Colton matched my glare with one of his own.

Biting back I replied, "I don't know. Maybe you're hungry like the rest of us simple people. Devils need to eat too you know?"

Drunk me sure had a bite. Note to self: get drunk more often when Colton is around.

Sliding into the booth, Colton knitted his hands together and rested his chin on them. "Watch what you say Daytona."

"What are you going to do? Huh? Stalk me at school? Check. Stalk me at my house? Check. Send my brother into hiding? Check." I slapped my hands over my mouth.

Shit.

Micah slammed his hands on the table. "I told you that ass was still alive didn't I?"

Colton put up his hand silencing him, "Your brother, Cooper, is alive?" For the first time ever, Colton seemed take off guard.

I crossed my arms and leaned back in the booth. My mind was screaming: You're such an idiot! Cooper trusted you not to tell anyone and here you go, blabbing on to the people hunting him that he's alive.

"Where is he?" Micah growled.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Colton leaned closer to me and took a strand of my hair between his fingers. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be Daytona. Just tell us where Cooper is, and I won't have to harm a pretty little hair on your head. Don't cooperate though, " he yanked the strand of hair and I let out a grunt.

Snatching my hand back I narrowed my eyes even more, "Listen here Dick Face, I'm not telling you where my brother is, because even I don't know. Now if you don't mind." Right on cue, the lady who took my order called out my number, "I'll be leaving now."

I got out of my booth and grabbed the bag from the counter. Logan turned the corner at the same time. I grabbed his hand and pulled him behind me as I ran out the door.

"Daytona? What's wrong?" I only let his hand go as we got to the car.

"Micah, Colton, inside. Us. Go." Using exaggerated hand motions I jumped in the car not waiting for Logan. 

Without saying anything, Logan jumped in to and gunned it down the street.

After a moment of silence, Logan spoke up. "Are you okay?"

"Splendid! I just practically sold out my own freaking brother to the people who killed him." With a dry laugh I realized how bizarre that sounded.

My dead brother, who isn't really dead, is being hunted by the people who killed him, but didn't really kill him.

I pulled the French fries out of the bag and stuffed some into my mouth, moaning with happiness.