Chapter 28

The day of the big game finally rolled around. And to say that I was nervous was an understatement.

This was our final football game of the season, and it was against our rivals, Riverbend.

The boys had been preparing for this game for months. Same as the cheerleaders.

And I'm stuck learning the routine for half time in four days.

"Daytona! Get your head in the game. We can't have you slacking off. If you miss another step I'm going to have to bench you, and believe it or not, but you're one of our best." I nodded my head at Makayla and focused on the routine.

"Five. Six. Seven. Eight." The co-captain, Rylan, called out. Our team pulled off the routine flawlessly and we were awarded with a break.

As I sat on the grass in my uniform, my stomach sank. My gut was telling me that something bad was going to happen tonight.

"Hey you alright? You look really pale." Rylan sat next to me, a look of concern on her face.

"Yeah, sorry. I'm just a little nervous about the routine. You know. My first game and it's against Riverbend."

She placed a hand on my shoulder, "I understand. When I cheered at my first game, I totally puked everywhere right before." I laughed along with her and stood up when she offered me a hand. "You'll do great I promise."

"Thanks." I offered her a small smile and even though she reassured me, I still felt off about this.

I wish Logan were here to comfort me.

I sighed and realized that he probably would be here, but not for me. I shook the thought from my head and readjusted my ponytail.

"Okay girls. It's time to get in place!" Makayla barked into the megaphone.

Over the past week, we managed to stay out of each other's way as much as possible, and cheering, it wasn't as hellish as it thought it would be.

We got into position along the sidelines and faced the crowd waiting for the football players to come out. A cold breeze brushed past my exposed stomach and I had to clench my jaw to keep from shivering.

"Ladies and gentlemen; let's hear it for your Warrior football team." The announcer yelled out and our football team came running out of the fake tunnel and onto the field. "Who's ready to play some football?!"

~~~~🌸~~~~

It was the last five seconds of the game and we were ahead 35-24. I sat on the bleachers, letting the cool of the metal and the chill of the wind cool me down.

The buzzer went off and the football team ran off the field with a win tying up their season.

"Hey. Good job out there." I spun around and almost ran into Jaxon.

"Oh thanks."

"Have you always been a cheerleader. I don't remember seeing you at games before?" He pulled his helmet off and shook the sweat out of his hair.

"No, I just started on Monday actually. Way to go to you too. You guys won." I smiled at him and he returned it, not letting the fact that sweat was dripping into his eye deter his genuine happiness.

"I know! Man. This was a good season." I nodded my head along with him and wrapped my arms around myself. The sun had set a long time ago and now stars filled the dark sky above us. "Oh my bad. You're probably freezing. I don't want to hold you up any longer. We still meeting up for the project?"