Chapter 18: Danu Talis

The two men talk among themselves while i pace the room. 'Why do i have to do this? What is 'this' and what do we have to do? How will we get there, and what do i expect to see when we arrive?' So many questions fill my head and i fear that i won't ever get the answers to them. Eragon walks up to me and stops me in my pacing and turns me to look at him. "Hey mavis, its going to be alright. No need to worry so much. Your ready to take on the challenge. Come, were taking you to meet Tiana." He says grabbing my shoulder and leading me through the endless hallways. A pungent smell of sweat and odor stinks the air as we walk. I hesitate to cover my nose but i don't want to be rude to whats to come. We keep moving as the stench wreaks and i can't help but think were heading to a sewage pipe. "Sorry the smell, were passing the training area and quarters for the soldiers. It will pass soon." The tall man says and leads us through the twisting hallways.

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The stench fades away and they lead me into a room with swords along the walls and practice dummies demolished to splinters. "I thought we passed the training quarters?" I ask curious what this room was then. "She is the only female warrior in this army, she practices on her own. And of that as well, she would demolish my army if she had the chance." The other man says. I look up at him curious and walk deeper into the room and i see her taking on another dummy ripping it to shreds with her sword then she stops when its on the ground in pieces. She turns around her blonde hair almost shining white in the sunlight from the roof tied in a braid down to her waist. She smiles brightly, not fitting the situation she was just in and walks over to me and looks me up and down. "Verda?" She says and i look at her confused and Eragon and the man look caught off guard as well. "Um this is Mavis Wise." He says correcting her. She looks at me again and then looks at Eragon. "No i'm pretty sure this is Verda." She says again and i look at her confused. "You never did know about the names we gave each other back in the day Eragon. Only 'Mavis' here would know." She says gestering to me and i look at her utterly confused and she sighs. "Right never mind. I forgot. Name's Tiana, sorry for the confusion there." I nod and look at her. "I'm surprised you don't reme-" She says before Eragon giving her a signal to stop there from behind me and i see it at the corner of my eye and i look at him then her. "Ok? So now that we've finally met, when do we take on the trial?" I ask curious so i can go back to scatty's house and forget about this. All three of them look at me and smirk. "Do you really think your ready to take on Danu Talis? You read about the place, you should know whats over there don't you?" The man says crossing his arms. "Are you mocking me now?" I ask slightly pissed off. "I want to get this over with, all my life i've been in the face of danger. I would like some peace and quiet some time in my life. The danger is a  thrill and all but it gets old if it's constant." I say and they all nod. "Well, if that is what you wish. Let's get this over then. I believe you've had enough practice with scatty." The man says and signals us to follow him, Eragon following shortly behind, me following after, then Tiana. 

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We all enter this large room with a circle engraved into the middle. Eragon grabs my upper arm and Tiana's and puts us in the middle of the circle handing us two swords each. "Stay hidden watch your backs, know when to strike and you'll be fine." He says looking at both of us and goes to the other side of the room to a lever on the wall and pulls it. The engraved circle glows around us and our bodies start to fade as the sight of Eragon disappears. I look at Tiana and we both sheath our swords and grab each others hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The area around us changes from the marble floors from before to black dirt painted with swords and shields all around. The sight of a battlefield in front of us. I look at Tiana as she looks at me and we let go of each others hands and she readies her sword. "Is this anything like in your books?" She ask with a hint of worry in her voice. I look around at the crumbling buildings on the outskirts of the field and puddles of blood still in the crevasses of the broken up pieces of earth from the battle that took place. "Just like what i read of it." I say with a big sense of fear in my voice. Afraid of what lurks in the shadows, this place haunted my dreams when i read that damned book. I tucked it away, never to read it again. Now that i'm here, all my dreams are now becoming true.