Chapter 19: Sacrifices

We both look around, the look of horror on our faces trying to figure out what to do next. She looks at me and sheaths her sword. "We should get to cover, who knows what else is out there." She says and grabs my arm pulling me away and bringing me out of my daze. "I do. I know what's out there. And you don't wanna know whats our there." I say terrified and she nods pulling me away from the center of the field faster to one of the crumbling buildings. A gong sounded loud and crisp through the thick air and rang in both of our heads. She lets go of me and gets in a battle stance while i look around trying to decipher what it meant while pulling out my sword cautiously. Our spot next to the building could hardly be called hidden but it managed till what resembled the gong rises from behind us right were we teleported in. We both turn around slowly, Tiana grasping my hand as both of our hands shake from the looks of a large gorgon with snake heads slithering around its head. I immediately shut my eyes tight and i feel Tiana's grip tighten around my hand then seizes in a split second. My heart drops and i creek my eye lid open for a second and see the stone of her hand clasped around mine. A feeling of rage and loss boils from inside me and i let go of her hand and the gorgon roars in front of me. I shake in my shoes and breath deeply to try and calm my nerves. 'Just one of the gorgons from the books. I've learned all about them. I can do this.' I think to myself and turn toward Tiana and grab her swords. I ready in a battle stance and hope to god that i don't get killed. I hear the steps of the gorgon bound toward me and make an image of it in my head and the movements its making. I smell its stench as it steps toward me slowly and make a run for it with both the swords trailing behind me i slip past one of the snake heads as it launches its venom filled fangs toward me and circle it slashing it making sure to hit vital points as it stands a massive 30 feet with a snake tail ranging in 70 feet behind it. I jump and dodge as it tries to flick its tail at me and slash at its scales along its body leaving blood trails. I keep my eyes closed as i run past making a miscalculation as it grabs me in its tail wrapping around my body. It hoists me up and holds me as the snake heads flick their tongues against my skin. It hisses and speaks, "Mavis Wissssssse.....open your eyesssssss. That beautiful hazel brown, the color of a golden sunset in the late of fall. My babiessssss and i are begging to see them." The sound rings in my ears as i keep my eyes closed and feel my spare swords in their scabbards as i reach for one and slip it up cutting its tail and dropping me to the ground with a thud. I groan and keep my eyes closed as i pull the second out and run up to it and jam the sword through it and cut it around. It wails in pain and flops to the side and i hear its last breath and i open my eyes and sigh shaking my arms feeling disgusted to have the tail wrapped around me and i sheath my sword and look at Tiana as she comes back to normal. She looks at me surprised as the gorgon turns to dust and i walk back over to her and hand her swords back. "Hehe keep your eyes open wouldn't be the greatest joke to make right now but it fits." I chuckle and she chuckles with me. "You did great. Thanks for saving me." She says following behind me as i keep walking through the crumbled buildings. "Don't mention it. Let's keep moving, we don't want to run into more trouble before were prepared." I respond and she nods in agreement following close behind me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We keep moving through the crumbled buildings for a good 20 minutes before we stumble across an abandoned building. She looks at me as i look at her then we look toward the building and continue forward into it. I open the rusted door to the building and look around before stepping in. She follows behind and the door shuts behind us with a bang and locks in place. "Welp...no going back." I reply and look down the deserted hallway and cautiously step forward. I keep walking forward when i hear a scrape in the distance and swiftly pull out my sword. Tiana does the same and stands next to me. The sound rings down the hallway again and gets louder with each time. It suddenly stops its ominous scrape and returns with booming footsteps. Tiana and i fluster getting into a battle stance and a figure approaches rapidly toward us and it comes into view, a manticore. My eyes go wide and i pull out my second sword ready to fight as Tiana does the same. It scrapes its claws on the cement floor and halts roaring in our ears as our eardrums pound inside our heads. It launches its scorpion tail toward me with its barb sharp and pointed, i block with my sword as Tiana strikes at its side. It wails as its blood spills before it from her sword and growls flapping its bat like wings at us and knocks Tiana to her butt and grabs her foot in its massive jaws and drags her away down the hallway. I chase both of them down the hallway and reach out for her hand but keep ending up a few feet short of reaching her before it launches her down the hallway skidding and turning its attention to me with its tail quivering ready to strike. I ready my swords and look at it with gritted teeth. It strikes at me with its barbed tail and slice the tip off and use my other sword to plunge it into its chest as it whimpers and falls lifeless to the floor. I look at Tiana and run over to her skidding on my knees and looking at her leg as a pool of blood surrounds her wound.