CHAPTER 8 * Locked in *

XERIS' POV

I passed through the sleeping area and headed for the door that would lead me out of these chambers. This door was right next to my, make that our, medical bay. I walked out and made a sharp turn left down the hallway that would lead me to the public hallways. I continued walking knowing that the door would open once it had registered my identity, but it didn't. I had to stop abruptly for I would have walked right into it. I stood there for a few seconds wondering why the doorway was not appearing. I tapped the side of my head thinking of Santhi and his face came into view before my eyes.

"Why is the door not opening?" I knew that he knew exactly which door I was referring to. Our ship had never experienced technical difficulties. It was made by the best of Thanzor. The only reason for it not to open was if command had ordered it.

"My apologies, your highness. Bulba and Purit are in charge of all the men and earthians."

Is that an explanation?

I looked to him letting my irritation show. "And?"

"I shall transfer the call and have them explain."

He disconnected and in his place Bulba appeared.

"Why is the door not opening?" I asked, still with the irritation in my voice from talking to Santhi.

I need to speak to Purit right now. How dare they delay me.

"Because I ordered it so."

I looked at her waiting for further explanation.

"Let me talk to Purit."

"Unfortunately, he is occupied with other matters."

"If the both of you are in charge, why have you solely decided on this?" I asked.

"Naturally, as Purit and I are both in charge of this mission, I cannot possibly make any decision without first discussing it with him. As to this matter, he is fully in favour of my decision. We have both deemed it appropriate to restrict your movement."

She almost looked smug.

How could he?

"You dare confine me?" Anger seeped into my words.

"You misunderstand me, your highness," she didn't even flinch, "your confinement is not meant as punishment. It serves to make this mission easier. To encourage communication. This is in your best interest as well as Thanzor's."

My best interest? My best interest? Who is she to tell me what is best for me?

She must have sensed the storm brewing in me. She didn't speak but let me reign in my anger enough to speak. Outwardly, I looked no different. However, Bulba was no ordinary woman. She had that same knack as Purit for reading people like a book.

"How long shall this confinement last?" I asked in an even tone.

"As long as we see fit. We shall be monitoring your progress with her closely. It would do you well to find a way to communicate with her in a civil manner."

Was she threatening me? Does she realise that I am the second prince of Thanzor?

She continued, "This confinement does not apply only to you, your highness. All the other men have been confined similarly."

I knew she said this to test me. She wanted to see if I would demand special treatment because of my status. But I wouldn't do that. At the beginning of this mission, I had publicly announced that I wanted to be treated no different than the other men going through this same process.