CHAPTER 33 * Royalty lessons

VICTORIA'S POV

"That stupid Xeris! How dare he order me to marry him, just like that. He didn't even throw in a 'please'. I mean he's only doing it because he has to, not because he loves me or anything," I grumbled to myself.

"I can't believe I even got excited. It's not like if he doesn't marry me, he won't ever get married. I'm sure he could get any Thanzorian girl to marry him. Heck, That Anugi chick was willing to get rid of me just so she could have him to herself." I grumbled some more.

I had stormed out but didn't know where to go. I knew he would find me easily in the greenery, but I didn't dare leave our apartment for fear of getting lost. I didn't know anyone at all on this ship and Purit and Bulba wouldn't do. I missed Nessa. I could have at least talked to her about this.

I sighed. Even though I had decided to come to the greenery, I didn't exactly go far. I stayed within sight of the entrance, in case he came looking for me. I paced backwards and forwards in front of the entrance for a while, waiting.

No not waiting. I just didn't want to risk getting lost again. Yeah, that was it.

Who am I kidding? I'm shamelessly waiting for him to come after me.

I wasn't sure how long I had been waiting and looking at the door. There was still no sign of him.

That idiot and his pride. Of course he won't come after me.

After one last glance at the door, I decided to head further into the greenery. After a few steps, I heard him call my name. I tried not to get too excited and reminded myself that I was still upset with him. I didn't turn around to look and kept walking.

"Victoria, wait," I could hear he was running to catch up to me.

My stubborn side had me walking at a quicker pace. I couldn't make it too easy for him.

Obviously, catching up to me wasn't hard for him. But how he stopped me is what shocked me. He had wrapped his arms around me and was giving me a back hug.

"I'm sorry," he whispered into my ear.

Was this Xeris? Proud and arrogant Xeris?

I couldn't say anything, I just savoured the feeling of his arms around me. He slowly let go and I almost protested. He then came around to face me and took my hands in his. I didn't say anything because I couldn't trust my mouth, so I just looked at him.

"I was insensitive with how I asked. I know that you will be giving up a lot to be with me. Your freedom to act as you please in the public eye, your dreams of the future, your plans. I didn't really consider this, and it shames me that it took someone else to knock some sense into me," he stepped back and got down on one knee. All I could do was stare at him.

"I am arrogant, and discourteous, and detached sometimes. I like things to go my way, and act out when they do not. You know all there is to know about me, and still decide to tolerate me. I know that it has much to do with the fact that you cannot go anywhere else," he chuckled a little.

"I don't have a ring with me. Rings aren't normally used when asking for a hand in marriage on Thanzor. But if you desire one, I shall have the finest one made for you. What I do have instead, is myself. I offer myself to you. Mind, body and heart. With these meagre offerings, would you consider marrying this prince?"

I hadn't realised that tears were streaming down my face. I sniffed a little and said to him, "but you don't even love me. you're only doing this out of a sense of duty." I wanted him to deny it. I needed him to deny it.