CHAPTER 28 * Exhaustion *

XERIS' POV

"Could you help me?"

I didn't hesitate and got up to help her. I carried her to bed and made sure she was comfortable before going to take a shower. In the bathroom, I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I hadn't groomed myself since she went missing. My beard had grown quite a bit and my hair was in disarray. The dark circles under my eyes were very evident. This was the worst I had ever looked in my life. I didn't even think about these things earlier. I decided I would tend to my beard in the morning.

I undid my braid and stepped into the shower. Only under the cascading water did I realise how truly tired I was. I had only laid my head down mere minutes before she woke up. I didn't dare sleep while she was unconscious in case anything happened. Even though Bulba reassured me that she would wake up, I couldn't leave her side until she did just that. I made sure to clean her face, hands and feet, every few hours. The parts of her body that wouldn't make her feel uncomfortable.

Once I was done, I stepped out of the shower and went to the mirror above my sink intending to braid my hair. I looked at my reflection as a yawn escaped. My dark circles even more evident than before. I couldn't muster enough energy to braid my hair up. I pulled on my bottom sleeping pants and was about to do the same with the vest when another yawn escaped. I straightened and walked into the closet with my clothes in hand and didn't look as I deposited everything into the laundry hatch.

I couldn't stop yawning, even as I was pulling the covers up over me. I looked to Victoria and saw her sleeping peacefully. She was the last thing I saw before I succumbed to the fatigue.

***

"Xeris."

"Xeris?" Victoria was lightly shaking me.

Need more sleep

I heard her huff. A miniscule smile tugging at my lips.

We've swapped roles.

I heard some ruffling sounds and cracked one eye open. She was trying to get out of the bed but was having difficulty because of the repair gel. I continued observing her, my body not willing to move from its comfortable spot. At the rate she was going, she would end up braking more bones.

"Where are you going?" she jumped a little and turned to find me awake, leaning against my elbows and looking at her. I yawned after asking.

After seeing that I was indeed awake, she looked anywhere but at me. I felt a few strands of my hair flutter to my face as I brought my head forward. I was too tired to brush them back. She looked at my face then away again. When she looked at me again, I raised my eyebrows, "well?"

She looked confused for a moment then remembered the question I had asked, "oh, I...  uh... um. I wanted to go to the bathroom. But I know how tired you must be, so I'll..."

"So, you'll crawl all the way there yourself?" I asked mockingly.

"Yes."

"And how would you have reached the access pad from the floor?"

"I..." she was at a loss for words.

I pulled the covers off and stood up. I walked around the bed and got to her. Some of my hair had fallen to my chest. Before picking her up I pushed it behind me. It really was too long. I couldn't wait to cut it.

As I curled my arms under her, she put her own around me. I don't know why this made me smile.

It reminded me of the first time I carried her. She was so much smaller now and weighed practically nothing at all. She fit perfectly in my arms.

I approached the bathroom and opened the door. I walked in and then proceeded to the toilet. I opened the lid and looked at her.

"Do you need help remo..."

"No!" she cried in panic before I could finish.

I could tell she was really uncomfortable and that just made me laugh. She could tell I was only mocking her.

She huffed and removed her arms from around me then crossed them in front of her chest. Her head was turned away from me and slightly upwards. This just prolonged my laughter.

"Okay, okay, I'm going to set you down now ok?" I didn't expect her to reply.

I put her down took a step back and turned around. For a few seconds, she didn't say anything.

"Aren't you leaving?" she asked.

I turned back and found her looking at me in expectation. "Well?"

"Who will help you if you fall?"

She rolled her eyes at this.

I didn't really like it when she rolled her eyes. She had long ago discovered this but still did it anyway.

"How could I possibly fall off the toilet? Look," she gestured to herself, "I haven't fallen off. I would have been done already if you weren't here."

I sighed, "I'll be outside. Call me when you are done."

I walked out and stood waiting for her.

"Cover your ears," I heard her yell.

I smiled.

"Are they covered?" she yelled again.

Now I rolled my eyes.

Oh goodness, she was rubbing off on me.

Then I heard her. I could tell when she was done. A few moments later she called for me.

"I'm done."

I walked back in and lifted her. This time she didn't put her arms around me. I took her to my sink as it was closer and she washed her hands. Once she was done I straightened and headed for the door but not before she had wrapped her hands around me again. I took her to her side and lay her down. After pulling the covers over her, I approached my side of the bed, got in and was soon asleep again.