CHAPTER 30 * Curls and realisations *

XERIS' POV

This was the most rested I had felt in ages. I hadn't had such good sleep in a long time. Before opening my eyes, I savoured the last remnants of sleep I had.

I opened my eyes slowly and was surprised at what I saw.

She was so close.

Victoria.

I held her close in my arms. I looked behind me and saw that it was indeed I who had moved over to her. My arms were under and around her. Our legs were intertwined. Her arms as well were under and around me. I looked at her sleeping form and registered how comfortable she looked, how comfortable it was to have her in my arms.

I didn't want to move just yet and lay my head back on the pillow.

I'll keep you safe. I won't let anything hurt you ever again because of me.

I was startled by the fierceness I felt when uttering those words in my head. I meant every single one of them. Surely, I felt this way because I knew how important she was to the mission.

That must be it.

I looked at her face. She was quite beautiful, even I had to admit that. Especially when she smiled. I loved her smiles.

Loved? No, appreciated her smiles.

She mumbled something and pulled herself closer to me.

I smiled at this.

Looking at her now, she looked like such a child. Adorable.

A stray strand of her curly hair had found its way out of one of her braids and fluttered on her face with each breath she took. I slowly brushed it back and behind her ear with my fingers. My fingers were still hovering over her face.

I had this strong desire to touch her. Feel her skin beneath my hand. I slowly lowered it, not really decided on whether to caress her or pull back.

My hand landed softly on her cheek, and she responded by rubbing it against my palm. My breath caught in my throat.

Is she awake?

I didn't move until I confirmed that she was still asleep. I released the breath I had been holding and began breathing normally again.

I raised my hand and instead used the back of my fingers to caress her cheek. Her skin felt softer than silk.

When did she break out of her cocoon?

I was mesmerised. Did she always look like this?

Like waking up from a trance, I realised what I was doing and withdrew my hand. I managed to untangle our limbs and got off the bed. My heart was beating a little too rapidly.

I raised my hand to my chest.

I haven't done anything wrong. Why are you beating so fast? I asked my heart.

After one more glance at Victoria, I went into the closet and grabbed my training attire. I didn't bother showering and just changed. I tied my hair up in a messy bun because I was in a hurry to leave the apartment.

In the training room, I worked out until I had convinced himself that nothing was amiss with me. 

When I felt I had worked out enough, I went back to the apartment only to find her crawling to the closet. I stood and watched her, because she hadn't noticed my presence yet. I leaned my shoulder against the wall and had my arms crossed over my chest. A small smile on my lips.