Chapter Eighteen: The Southline

Walk by the river to east, to west,

Walk to the meadows with wandering paws,

Walk to the mountains the way you know best,

From westland to South river's watery jaws.

"Whipperrrrrr, everyone's disappeared."

After over a quarter moon, the heat had finally broken. The land had plunged into an abnormal cool instead, chilling the stones of Rockhall and filling mornings and evenings with dew. Sethral wandered into the main hall and eyed Whipper's sunspot on the boulder.

He fluffed himself up in it. "Where's Wing? He was teaching you Long Night, wasn't he?"

"He went hunting. And I wanted to ask Jay more about Saberell, but he's holed up in his room and he won't come out. Silver's with Wing and the twins went off to go run or something. Where's Ratty?"

"Who?"

"Ratty. Copperface. Rusty-bottomed Saberel thingy. Where is he?"

"I haven't seen him."

"He wouldn't have left, would he? Jay said he could hunt again, but he looked so much like he wanted to stay..."

"Seth, behind you."

Sethral spun around. Ryatzi stopped halfway down the second exit ledge, something small and furry in his jaws. He flinched as Sethral flew over to hug him, but it was not as scared a flinch as it had been a few days ago.

"I thought you'd left," said Sethral into his fur, then hopped off the ledge and let him come down to the ground. "Also, I've been meaning to ask you. Why do you have northern fur?"

'I do?'

"Look at yourself, Drakon fluff. You take as long to groom as Whipper or Jay, and you've got an undercoat, even if it's thin. Was your species from the north?"

'Only a long time ago...'

"Why?"

"Because Coppertails took over their range," said Whipper.

Sethral rounded on him. "How do you know?"

"Northlanders know it. They're an old enough Coppertail type that they have an instinct for things from back then. That's why Jay knows so much about Saberell and Drakons and stuff. Raindai come from Northlanders, so he's got that instinct too."

Sethral looked back and forth between Ryatzi, who looked like he wanted to leave, and Whipper. "Wait. Ratty, so does that mean that you know stuff about Jay too? I mean, about Northlanders and Raindai. In general. Your species is even older than Coppertails."