Hunters Come

"It's stopped again." Ryatzi pulled up at the base of a tree, his tail between his legs.

"There's a space ahead," said Whipper.

"What happens when we move?" said Sethral.

Ryatzi checked the sky and started back the way they had come. He was back in under a hundred heartbeats, and curled up against Sethral's paws.

"So it's definitely following you," said Sethral. "Don't bolt on us, Ratty. We're sticking together. Catface."

Silversand had begun to run in circles.

"We don't have much time, do we," said Sethral. "Ratty, tunnels?"

"It's not tracking by sight."

"Then how the heck is it tracking you?"

"I don't know!"

"It's getting closer," said Whipper. "I can see it now."

Sethral dropped a wing over Ryatzi, who was shaking. "We're going to try the tunnels anyways. Fisher, you can detect water, can't you?"

"His name's Loki," said Whipper.

Loki pointed about a tail-length to his right.

"Start digging," said Sethral. "Ratty, you help him. Your clan made dens too, right? Whipper, head up there to keep an eye on the Whitewing. Silver... Silver!"

Silversand leaped in her skin.

"Silver, which way is safe?" said Sethral.

Silversand pointed north, then looked confused. "I mean... the boats..."

"No, that way's fine."

"Whitewing alert!" cried Whipper.

Loki cussed, kicking a net of roots in the hole he and Ryatzi had excavated.

"Is everyone up for this?" said Sethral. She caught Silversand by the necklace chain and unclipped the cat's metal gauntlet. She shoved it in Silversand's face. "Here's your chance, Catface. Ratty, we need your bite. Fisher, you've got a good kick, I assume; you and Ratty go for the wings as soon as I bait this monster down. Whipper, can you help with that? You've got a good winglock. Silver, your job is to go for its eyes. Ratty, focus! Silver, what's your job?"

"Eyes!"

A shrieking wind indicated that the Whitewing was diving. "Scatter!" hissed Sethral. She launched herself in the air and flew for the space Whipper had detected. It was a pool of meadow-river. Sethral rolled in midair, flashing her wings' pale undersides. The Whitewing streaked towards her, then veered aside and made straight for Whipper. Tall grass thrashed. Sethral snatched Whipper to safety and flung him on the monster's back. The Whitewing screeched. One of its rear wings jerked back in Whipper's winglock, just as Ryatzi appeared beside him. The monster rolled. Sethral flung her whole weight on its dropping forewing. Its wings lurched up to right itself, and there was a sickening crunch. Ryatzi had reached its forewing.

Sethral regained her lost height. Diving again, she hit the stunned Whitewing and drove it to the ground. Silversand leaped at its face, and another wing snapped as Loki made it onto its back. Everyone leaped back as the remaining wings scythed through the grass. Ryatzi snatched Whipper's scruff and dove to safety as vegetation flattened in the wind.

A screechy scream was now coming from the monster. One front and one middle wing gone, it tottered into the air. Silversand had made quick work of its eyes. Sethral hissed as it turned slowly and located Ryatzi.