Chapter Twenty-One: Dead Drakons

Speed is skill and skill is prey;

Flying isn't made for play.

Enemies that know the sky

Are very rarely passing by.

Loki pulled himself out of the river, shivering, and put a good distance between himself and the bank

Loki pulled himself out of the river, shivering, and put a good distance between himself and the bank. He had not been prepared to swim in that current. He crawled under a bush and pressed his paws to his eyes. He couldn't cry. Not yet.

Foresters were tiny. That one may have been an adolescent, but he could hardly have had three more seasons to grow. Small, slight-boned and light as a feather. Of course, this all made sense given that the species lived in trees, but Loki had never imagined them that way. He wasn't sure how he'd imagined them, to be honest. He guessed he never had.

Making you no better than the elders with that.

Shit, he was crying.

That damned cat.

He was going to change his trap idea. It was probably the worst possible idea for completing this mission, but he wanted to talk to the last Forester before the creature died. Loki drew a shaky breath and dropped his paws. He was nearly back in Winter's territory. How was he going to get all the way to the river island before that speedy little black treeflyer?

No, he was denying that option. What other options did he have?

Loki kicked the sodden ground. He had no other options.

He hated Drakons.

Wing caught Jay as the discussion in the camp's centre erupted into shouting again

Wing caught Jay as the discussion in the camp's centre erupted into shouting again. The Raindai buried his muzzle in his shoulder.

Silversand was hidden beneath a bush and had not come out all evening. Fletch backed away from the discussion, looking ready to cry as Taz and Sethral whirled to face each other again. They both had bruises from the last time this had happened.