SIX

DEMETER'S GARDENS, OLYMPUS

HADES

STEADILY, STEALTHILY, MY QUIET FOOTSTEPS TRESPASSED ON ZEUS AND DEMETER'S FORBIDDEN GARDENS.

Zeus had no idea just how much I enjoyed walking on the land he forbid me from.

A flick of silent fingers produced a brilliant, glittering helm, heavily laden with embedded diamonds. It radiated literal tendrils of fear, meant only to be trusted by the owner alone.

My Helm of Darkness.

An instrument to render invisibility.

Great was the terror of the helm among the gods, even greater was the power it allowed the wearer to wield.

I walked along the shores and valleys of the turquoise blue river Cyane, lost in melancholic thought and justified anger at my brother.

Suddenly, a delicate voice wafted out from the fragrant confines of the garden.

"Please. Please stop touching me - my lord - please!" shrieked a young, feminine melody from behind the lily bushes, bristling and full of terror. The voice was wholly sweet even in fear, the higher octaves coated in honey. Dripping like silk butter, beckoning my senses to the unknown, unnamed owner of the voice.

My feet hurried faster along the young green grasses, trampling every inch of Demeter's meadow under concerned heels.

"Your mother won't know. You'll enjoy it, I promise," continued a male voice, impatient and harsh.

It belonged to my nephew. Apollo.

My pace quickened tenfold, looking for the source of the famished, feminine cries

"...take her to your chambers, Apollo," another male added with a scuffle, sounding much closer than before.

One step. Then another, and another and another.

The young lady's protests were slowly descending into anguished sobs of agony, each scream sending a jab through the hard skin covering my even harder flesh.

A careless sweep of my pale hand parted the slender, dancing daffodil stalks to the left. The shrieks came right from under Demeter's rocky cove carved of limestone and marbled granite.

I saw them.

And I saw her.

She was art.