TWENTY FIVE

ROYAL CHAMBERS, THE UNDERWORLD

PERSEPHONE

THE FEAST WAS DELICIOUS, THE CHAMPAGNE - SPARKLING, BUT HADES’ MIND WAS CLEARLY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

The candle light cast shimmering pools of molten gold in his eyes as a storm brewed behind them, grey and furious in its nature.

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly, his voice too silent. His food was untouched, his glass was still full. The bejewelled tablecloth caught the lights of the chandelier, casting shadows over his high cheekbones.

“It’s alright.” I took another bite of the delicious dinner, revelling in the feel of molten butter off my tongue, washing it down with a swig of wine.

“It isn’t,” Hades muttered. “It’s unacceptable. I’ll have a word with her tomorrow.”

“No,” I whispered. He looked up, brows knitting. “I can protect myself.”

“Just because you can, that doesn’t mean-”

“No, Hades. Please,” I murmured gently, sighing deeply. “I… I don’t want to fight. And I… I don’t want her to hate me more than she already does. So - please. Just leave her be.”

My fingers toyed with the end of my braid, curling the smooth ends nervously around my finger. 

“Hecate doesn’t hate you,” Hades said at last, leaning back in his gilded chair, fingers crossed. His skin was paler than marble, and sadness dwelled in his eyes like a living monster. The perfect image of a fallen, broken god. The sight of it broke my heart.

“Finish your food, Polydegmon.”

He sat up straight, playful annoyance crossing his features for a minute. Then a deep, throaty laugh burst out of his lush lips, a laugh so beautiful that could make the angels weep.

“Very well. As you command, my Queen,” the King’s lips twitched up in a smirk, mischief gleaming in his eyes. Inside of me, whatever had shattered seeing him so lost pieced itself together again. A distraction. That was what he needed. Anything - anything to distract him from the dreary gloom weighing down on his strong shoulders.

The meal was over in minutes as we stood up, Cerberus trotting ahead of us. His paws were near silent on the glossy tiles as he trotted down the hall. Hades pulled out my chair, holding out a hand for me. A corner of my lips pulled as I let him slide his arm around my waist, inhaling in the scent of death, of manliness, of darkness as it swirled around me.

The door closed behind us with a soft click as I noticed Cerberus curled around the fireplace, his tail twitching. He blinked lazily as we entered, one eye closed as a satisfied growl ripped from him. 

I was conscious of Hades’ fingers as they skimmed across my waist, lingering at the small strip of exposed skin from the geometric cutouts of my gown. I thought he’d be cold, but he wasn’t, no. His touch left burning trails of want, of desire across my flesh - desire which had me curling my toes, imagining all the things that might happen if I let him have his way with me.