THIRTY SIX

THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, OLYMPUS

HADES

"BUSY MUCH THESE DAYS?"

Athena looked up from where she'd been bent over her bow, grey eyes darkened in a moment of tense concentration. Her fingers nimbly worked at the taut string stretched across the bow, fixing the ends in place. Her eyebrows shot up.

"Fancy seeing you here, uncle. Missed your niece much?"

The generous sunlight peeking in through the windows made the gilded surface of her bow glitter, shining with the radiance of a million suns.

"Not at all. Without you around, there's no one to steal books from my library."

"That was one time, uncle," She grinned, tossing the bow to me. I appreciatively looked it over, testing the balance. Fine work.

"Hmm. Sure," I rolled my eyes at her, as Athena snatched back her precious weapon, glaring daggers at me.

"Father waits for you inside," she muttered, her voice rougher than a bed of gravel. "He has been... brooding, I would say?"

"Is it too much to ask you Olympians to save one adjective for me? I am the only one who gets to brood," I tossed her a look, pulling at my gloves. I stretched my fingers, wincing at the bright sunlight pouring down from up above our heads.

"Of course you do," she laughed. "But pray save the brooding for the darkness. It would not do for the rest of the Olympians to take one look at you and start fainting."

I muttered a non committal response under my breath as the goddess of intellect walked up the steps to the throne room beside me, bow slung at her back. She squinted, grey eyes narrowing as a result of the too bright daylight.

"How... how is she?" Athena asked at last, pausing in her tracks. "Is she well?"

I beamed, pretty sure that my lips would tear or fall off from smiling too broadly.

"Why - is that a smile, uncle?" my niece chuckled, gaze observing mine. "Perhaps the sun might set in the east today."

"She is..." my voice trailed off, unable to contain the measure of my joy. "She is - she is my world, Athena. My everything. And for the first time in my life, I have found another to love me - without despising me or hating me for what I am. She is... my other half. I love her. I love Persephone so much."

My voice softened at the end, eyes getting slightly moist. Mind reeling back to the morning, memories of her softness buried in the warmth of the blankets, her gentle, demanding touches taking more and more and more -

"So she has bewitched you. I thought you had Hecate for those sorts of things."

I threw back my head, my laugh thunderous. Athena looked at me, a small smile playing on her rose lips, eyes shining. I could not explain the joy flooding my veins. I feared nothing, and no one - not as long as I had her by my side. Together, the world was ours for the taking.