TWENTY THREE

HALL OF HADES, THE UNDERWORLD

PERSEPHONE

THE HALL OF HADES WAS JUST AS TERRIFYING AS I REMEMBERED.

Waves of sheer power rolling off him, the King of the Underworld led me through his silent courtroom as all his ministers rose. Every step he took seemed to shake the floor, the ceiling, the very roots of the room. A predatory smile graced his features as we walked, my hand in his - past the waiting shades, the wide eyed judges, past a perplexed Thanatos, and a scowling Hecate. The last two of them stood waiting by the throne - two thrones, in fact... right in the center of the room.

The intimidating structures of granite and obsidian stood high, topped by wicked looking spires shining dangerously in the light of a thousand chandeliers above our heads. Blood red velvet lined the seat and armrests. A strange symbol - the symbol of the House of Hades, was etched on his throne, while a single rose lay carved into mine. 

He led me through the steps, and only when I sat down, did his hand leave mine.

The entire courtroom let out a collective breath and sat down after him. 

"Your Queen will be joining us today. I expect you all to behave," his voice rumbled through the hall, a study in sheer, commanding power. Every person in the room nodded, sinking to their knees in a deep, reverant bow as they acknowledged my presence.

The adulation, the respect - it was something else entirely. Never had I felt so drunk, so high on something. Adrenaline coursed through my veins, washing away the remnants of any nervousness. I sat up higher, straightening my back.

"I vow to rule my subjects with fairness and mercy, to honour your laws and customs, to protect you all till the last breath leaves my body. I hope I do not disappoint."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow of a smile flit through Hades' face. 

"Persephone, meet the judges. Aeacus, Minos and Rhadamanthys are the sons of Zeus and Europa. Their decisions separate the good from the wicked, the lawful from the unlawful. They judge the souls in accordance with my laws and pay the greatest heed to justice."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, my lords."

"The pleasure is ours, my Queen," Aeacus gave me a generous smile from his seat. On the other side of the table, Rhadamanthys sadly nodded at me. Minos sat in the middle, a golden sceptre in hand, a stone mask on his face, and a pile of parchment right in front of him. A pot of ink and an army of finely sharpened quills rested beside the papers. As human, he had been a king and a lawgiver. When he died, Hades himself appointed him his master of justice for there was no one better to deliver the firm sentences of law.

QUEEN OF DEATH ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara