TWENTY ONE

ROYAL CHAMBERS, UNDERWORLD

PERSEPHONE

THE COLD BIT AT MY SKIN LIKE WOLVES.

Go to your chambers, Persephone. You do not need to see this.

The pain in my chest knocked again at the ominous doorstep - looming, hungry, threatening to burn sanity alive.

“Persephone.”

No. No. No. No.

Thundered gathered under my skin, shattering and brittle, sparks of madness rolling in my fingers, tearing them apart into pieces of grief.

“Persephone.”

Persephone! I said, go!

Red eyes loomed into my vision, fingers clawing out the blood vessels like broken thorns. There had to be some escape - some way out of this despair, this desolation -

“Persephone - this isn’t real!”

My eyes flew open.

Hands clawed listlessly on the sheets of silk under me, twisting into knots and turning into whirlpools, pale and moist with pearly sweat. A jolt of horror shook through my core as I realised those weren’t sheets - but hands.

Hands. Bloodstained.

There were wrecked storms in his eyes, darker than frosted glass. His cold skin was a stark white in the moonlight, but nothing could have hidden the sheer emptiness, the loneliness, the desolation in his face.

“I - I - I’m so sorry. I didn’t realise…”

“Sorry for what?”

I had never heard him sound so bitter.

“For - for what I did - in my… sleep,” a whisper floated through my lips as I gestured to his bloody palms. The golden streams of ichor shone dangerously in the room’s dimness, his skin raw and gaping open. 

I had done that. I tore them apart.

He noticed my gaze. A second later, the blood was gone. The skin healed.

“You were having a nightmare. I didn’t know what to do. So I let you hold my hand,” Hades muttered quietly, his stare deeper than the waters of the Cyane.

Color rushed into my cheeks, heating them.

“Are you alright?”

I bit my lip. It felt - it felt so surreal - yet so real - I didn’t even know if I was awake or dreaming.

“Don’t do that.”

“Don’t do what?”

“Biting your - I mean - hiding the pain. Don’t do that, Persephone. Talk to me.”