Chapter 9: Morning Blues

4:00 am, Singhania Holiday Home, Anjuna, Goa.

I woke up with a start as I heard the alarm clock on my phone ringing. I sat up straight on the bed, rubbing my eyes as I switched off the alarm. I quickly got off the bed and finished all my morning chores before starting my hour long yoga session. I had a strict daily routine which I never broke, and my morning yoga session was essential for my health. After all, I, Mukesh Singhania had to keep fit so that I could run Singhania industries perfectly!

However, this morning I was particularly excited and energized. If all had gone well the previous night, today would definitely be a cause for celebration! Madhyam was supposed to meet Nandini last night! God, I do hope he liked her! Otherwise Maa will be very upset! After all she had given her best friend Kishori her word that Nandini and Madhyam would get married once they came of age.

Although it was great to fulfil Maa's wishes, I did have my own reasons to approve of the match. After all, without my consent I would never let Madhyam get married to anyone! Singhania Industries and its image was everything to me. If Madhyam got married to a middle class girl like Nandini, then the public would definitely relate to us more and their respect for us would increase! The public would think me noble and magnanimous for choosing such an ordinary girl to be a part of my family...maybe, just maybe, it could even help us in overtaking the Malhotras!

After Shrikant's death everything seemed so simple... my biggest hurdle was gone! The Malhotras have had a terrible image in public anyway! Shrikant and Nyonika's separation! Shrikant leaving his own family! And let's not forget Manik Malhotra, the one and only heir of the Malhotra business empire, known by everyone to have a serious attitude problem! The odds were definitely in my favour, especially when I saw that Manik was the prime suspect in Shrikant's murder case. The entire world thought that he was a fugitive! Of course, I knew something no one else did...the fact that Manik was innocent! Bugging the Malhotra Mansion had been one of my best ideas...I had gathered a substantial amount of dirt, that I could use against the Malhotras, in the last couple of weeks. Nyonika Malhotra, you better do what I ask of you now! Else, you'll rot in prison!

I had just unfurled the yoga mat when I saw my phone ringing. Maybe it was Madhyam calling early in the morning to apprise me of his decision!

However, when I looked at the phone I was sorely disappointed. It was an unknown number...who could be calling at this hour?

I picked up the phone and said,"Hello...who's speaking?"

"Wow, so polite over the phone...who would think that you're such an asshole in reality?!" A man replied with a sarcastic laugh.

I was enraged when I heard his comment. Who was this idiot? How dare he speak to me like this?

"Do you know who you are speaking with? Stop with this nonsense immediately!" I screamed, losing my cool.

"Yes I know who I'm speaking with, but from your voice it's evident that you have no idea who I am...so let me introduce myself! I'm Manik, Manik Malhotra...or should I say tere sabse bade dushman ka beta!" He said with a chuckle.

I was taken aback by his words. Manik...why was he calling me? That too so early in the morning! Weren't the police chasing him?

"Why the hell are you calling me at this hour? I don't engage in conversations with criminals like you!" I said rather confidently.

"Well, I suggest that you hear me out because I have some information that may interest you...tell me something, kya Madhyam ne Nandini se milne ke baad shaadi ke liye haan kaha?" He said in an arrogant voice.