Epilogue

Two weeks later...

7:00 pm, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore.

"Yes...Chachi. Main ab nikalne hi wali hoon. Don't worry." I said in assurance as I finally finished packing my bag.

"Tu jaldi aaja waapas. Anyway, Doctor ne bola hai ki tujhe abhi bhi rest ki zaroorat hai!" Chachi exclaimed over the phone.

I said with a sigh. "Chachi, if I lie on the bed for one more day with nothing to do, main depression mein chali jaungi! I'm completely fine. And I've already missed too many days of work!"

"Haan...haan, pata hai. Har waqt kaam karti rehti hai. Okay, tu jaldi aaja ghar...aur sun, yahaan wahaan mat jaana, seedha ghar lautna, please Nandu." She requested.

"Okay Chachi. I'll be back as soon as possible. I promise." I said, sincerely.

I finally cut the call after bidding goodbye to her and slung the bag over my shoulders.

As I walked out, I realised why Chachi was being so persistent. Her worry was justified. Especially due to the whole kidnapping ordeal...and Manik...

Manik. The name brought equal parts of joy and frustration within me. It had been a whole two weeks...two weeks since I'd last seen him...since I'd last spoken to him...since I'd last felt his touch...

The last thing I remembered before I lost consciousness at the Singhania home, was Manik's teary eyed face as he tried to put pressure on my wound. I knew I'd acted rashly when I lunged in front of him to save him from the bullet, but I couldn't help it. The thought of losing him was too much to bear...I had to protect him...I had to...

I winced slightly as I walked down the stairs. The wound had scabbed over nicely, but it still hurt a bit. In fact, the doctor had advised me to take rest for nearly a month! However, I decided that I'd already missed work enough over the last few days. Fortunately, my supervisor at ISRO had taken my predicament into consideration and been generous enough to grant me leave for all the days I was with Manik.

Well, it's not my fault that I was kidnapped, so I guess it's fair enough. I wasn't going to ruin things for myself by revealing the whole truth to them.

When Chacha-Chachi had finally arrived in Goa, at the hospital where I'd been admitted, I still hadn't woken up. When I opened my eyes, all I could see was joy and relief in their eyes. I felt so guilty for putting them through such a difficult situation. And they weren't even a little angry with me. They were just happy to have me back. The way Chachi hugged me...I'd imagine that's the way mom would've hugged me if she were alive.

After the family reunion, it had finally dawned on me that Manik was nowhere to be seen. That's when Chachi informed me that a boy named Cabir had left a message with them before leaving the hospital. Apparently, Manik had been arrested by the police due to the kidnapping case that Chacha-Chachi had filed against him. My stomach had dropped immediately when I realised that I wouldn't be able to see him.

Chachi's voice was full of such contempt as she spoke of him, and I couldn't bear it for very long.

"That Fab Five gang-Humne kaha unko immediately yahaan se jaane ke liye!" Chacha shouted.

"Finally, woh Manik Malhotra jail pahunch hi gaya. Ab use wahi sadne do! Aise criminals ko saza milni hi chahiye!" Chachi said aggressively.

"Chachi, please! Woh criminal nahi hai..." I'd exclaimed instinctively.

I still remember the utterly flabbergasted look that Chachi had given me upon my outburst. When I tried to explain things to them, they  didn't believe me. They seemed fairly certain that I was delusional, and brought me back to Bangalore as soon as possible.