Chapter 22 : Shattered

10:00 am, near Thivim Train Station, Goa.

I woke up when I felt my body lurching forward due to inertia. As I opened my eyes, I saw that I had been sleeping on the backseat of a car. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was Manik's SUV that I was in. I sat up straight on the seat and rubbed my eyes.

Wait a second! How did I get here? As far as I remembered, both Manik and I had dozed off on the roof of the car, so why was I inside it? Did Manik put me here?

Aiyappa, what's wrong with this boy? Why doesn't he ever wake me up?

Inspite of complaining about his behaviour, deep down I thought that it was sweet that he didn't want to disturb me.

I looked at the driver's seat to find it empty. Where was Manik?

I scanned the surroundings and realized that we were no longer on the cliff that we had visited last night. We seemed to be on a road of some sort.

I got out of the car only to see Manik pacing outside.

I smiled as I saw him, and remembered the resolution I had made to confess my feelings to him.

Aiyappa, I'm so nervous and excited!

I walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Good Morning, Manik!" I said in a cheerful voice.

"Good morning..." He replied, his body language awkward.

His eyes were red. Hadn't he had a peaceful sleep last night? Was he really that disturbed?

I knew something was wrong with him last night, yet I didn't do anything! Nandini, what's wrong with you? You should have been more firm with him about sharing his worries with you! He shouldn't start bottling his emotions up all over again!

"Had a good sleep? Feeling fresh?" He asked.

"Yes! All thanks to you...I had the perfect pillow last night..." I replied, smiling like a fool.

"Good! If you're feeling fresh then, hum aaram se baat kar sakte hain..." He said.

I felt relieved to hear this! Maybe he was finally going to tell me about what had been worrying him since the previous night.

I moved closer to him and clutched his hand with both my palms.

"Manik, I'm glad...you should share your troubles with me. Besides, even I have something to tell you..." I said, giving him a soft smile.

We were silent for a few seconds as he gazed at me but suddenly, he jerked his hand out of mine.

"Right...you know it's a big day today!" He exclaimed.

"Yes...it is!" I said smiling, because it indeed was going to be a big day for both of us! He didn't know just how big!

"You know Nandini, it's been a long journey for us...from the time I held a knife to your throat to yesterday...when you allowed me to kiss you..." He said, smirking.

The memory of our kiss last night made me blush.

"Yes...very long..." I finally managed to reply.

"We've come a long way...You know Nandini, when I found out that the Singhanias had bugged my house, I just lost it! When I fled from Mumbai, all I wanted was to teach Nyonika as well as the Singhanias a lesson! Nyonika ko toh main eventually handle kar leta, but I was confused about what to do to get back at the Singhanias...that is, until I met you...So, Nandini Murthy, you should be proud of yourself, because without you my plan to disgrace the Singhanias would be incomplete..." He said, as he started circling me as if I were his prey.