Chapter 11: Tête-à-Tête

Bangalore-Goa Highway, 11 am.

Shit! This is so boring! I thought making a pact with her would ease the tension between us. I thought that maybe she'd finally treat me like a normal person and indulge in small talk. But, no! Ever since we left the dhaba, all she had asked me was the condition of my wound-every single hour...like she was my nurse or something! What was with her? She didn't seem so quiet at the restaurant when I first met her.

I hadn't slept for hours and I was dead tired. If I continued to drive without engaging in any sort of conversation, I would definitely fall asleep! I couldn't take such a risk! I had to distract myself from my own exhaustion!

"Nandini!" I said, rather loudly.

"Huh?" She replied, shocked that I had spoken to her.

"Say something! Anything will do, really!" I said.

"Is your top floor okay?" she asked, in surprise.

When I gave her an angry glare, she continued. "You want me to talk? You're the one who told me not to ask any questions, remember? So I'm just following your orders!" she said with a sarcastic smile.

Ugh! How did this girl always manage to get under my skin?!

"Listen! I don't have any desire to listen to your whiny voice! It's just that I need to distract myself in some way in order to continue driving, or else I may fall asleep...and that will most certainly end with us getting into an accident. So, I suggest you talk to me, if you want to live to see your family once more!" I said in an impertinent tone.

"Such a monster all the time! You know when you were born na, tumne nurse ko bhi gusse se dekha hoga!" She shouted.

"What?" I said, unable to believe my ears.

"You know small babies na, they're so cute! But not you! If you want something, why can't you just ask politely? "

"Listen, stop lecturing me on manners! If you want to talk, then talk, or else I'll manage!" I said, frustrated.

Suddenly, it seemed like a light bulb had glowed in her head as she said. "I have an idea...let's play a game, how about something like twenty questions? But, this will be a slightly modified version...instead of guessing what's on the other one's mind, let's just ask each other questions! "

I gave her an irritated look again when she said, "Since we are going to be stuck with each other for the next twenty-four hours or so, don't you think we should get to know each other better?"

I still looked doubtful when she said with a sigh. "I promise I won't ask about Nyonika!"

"Fine! Let's play!" I finally gave in.

"Great, so I'll start with a simple one first. Tell me, what's your favourite colour?" She asked.

"Red and white- I like them both equally" I stated. I liked the question-extremely impersonal and generic. Maybe, this could be an effective distraction after all, and in the process I would come to know more about Nandini! I hated to admit it, but I was curious about her life...I knew nothing about her except what she had revealed at the restaurant. Why did she agree to an arranged marriage? The question had been eating me alive for hours! This was a great opportunity to find out!

As soon as I answered the question, I saw her face turn into a beautiful hue of scarlet as she realized that she was dressed in the very colours that were my favourite!

I smirked to myself when I saw her reaction and asked her. "What's yours?"

"Black" She replied in a quiet voice.