Chapter 12: Promise

Demetri held her hand the whole way, grasping her as if she would escape any moment, he didn't want to lose her, never. She meant everything to him and after 500 years he had finally found his reason for living. He clutched her hand, feeling her small warm fingers sweat between his.

How could she be so warm when he was so cold? She looked tired and frail. She hadn't eaten anything  for at least a day and he felt she would  break any moment now. He took a soft intake of air and his mouth watered with desire. He was a threat to her, he had to learn to control himself if he wanted to be around her.

***

They walked silently along the corridor until Demetri came up to a small door opening it.

"You'll stay here" was all he managed to say, he suddenly felt very nervous.

May peeked inside, it was a small room, it had a small desk and wardrobe and a warm red rug spread along the marble floor, light fell through a window and onto the small bookshelf that was at one of the corners. She was strangely at ease. For a moment she wasn't the May that fought, nor the May that killed for justice, now she was just the May of before, happy. A feeling of warmth and safety came to her, a familiar feeling that she only felt when she had lived with sister Julia, she closed her eyes briefly and imagined she was here with her, maybe, just maybe if she had  rescued her in time she could have been here with her too, safe.

"May" a voice broke her string of carefully enlaced thoughts, she looked up. Demetri's velvet eyes stared back at her. A combination of black and light red

"Are you alright?" No, she wasn't alright and she didn´t know why.

"Yes, uhm, yes...I think so" she said and looked at the floor trying to fend of his gaze nervously,

She felt his icy fingers touch her cheek and lift her chin lightly towards him, she stared back into his eyes,  his brows furrowed slightly and then slowly relaxed, softening his gaze.

"Promise me you won't escape"

Lie, lie, lie, she didn't want to, but she had to.

"I  promise" she said her voice quivering, hoping he would believe her, hoping that what she said was true, she didn't want to go.

May  looked at him closely for a long time, he was beautiful in his own way, the way his lips moved when he talked  and the way he stared at her with those deep black eyes that made her fall into nothingness. Demetri tilted his head slightly and leaned to hear the pulse on her neck, his hands rested on the table behind her. Trapping her between his arms and the table without touching her.

She couldn't breath and she couldn't move. Sparks of electricity ran up and down her neck as she felt his nose run though the curve of her neck, breathing her scent in. Sensations of  dizziness and extasis consumed her.

"And if you do escape" he purred, "I will find you"

Her heart pulsed under his unbeating one. Now she knew why she wasn't all right, it was him. I'm afraid of him she thought, her brain tried to find a logical explanation to why her heart beating faster.. She was just afraid, it was nothing more. She had fallen into a trap, into a web where she would never escape, and she lay in middle waiting.  His body radiated coldness under his clothes and she suddenly had an urge to close those inches that separated them.

She tried to take control of herself and common sense came back, he was cold, because he was dead. He was a soulless monster,  a merciless killing machine, a feeling of nausea hit her, nausea that she liked a dead body that she liked  someone who would never give her nothing back.