A Raincheck & Rose Swirls

~ A Raincheck & Rose Swirls ~

~¤°*°*°*°¤~

Our project was a success and Mrs. Cordier agreed. She gave us an approving nod and the hint of a smile on her ruby lips. Theo hadn't received either from her before, so he was in an especially good mood.

The other students were mixed about which was better, but the majority voted for the unhealthy versions of their meals. Theo and I, along with a few others, voted for the healthy, homemade versions.

"A job well done, partner," I grinned brightly at Theo when class was over. I couldn't believe those words were coming out of my mouth.

"You too, as always," He smirked when he added, "Partner."

We stopped by our lockers on our way out, but didn't speak again until we were outside and away from the noisy crowd of students ready to go home.

"We should celebrate," Theo said, picking up the conversation as we walked to Eli's car.

They gave me another ride to school in the morning. Unlike yesterday, I was ready to go when they pulled into the driveway. They were also taking me to the bakery, since Theo was getting dropped off there anyway.

"Oh," I stumbled a step and hoped he didn't notice.

Is he asking me out?

"I have plans with Yvee and Jarod tonight." That just sounded like I was turning him down, whether it was a date invitation or not. "Raincheck?" I asked. "Because I would love to go out, um, celebrating with you."

"It's okay to say no, Abby."

"No!" I shouted so abruptly that it made him jolt.

He glanced curiously at me for having such a weird reaction.

And I was being very weird all of a sudden.

"I mean, it's not a no. I just can't tonight." I explained as we reached the car and opened our doors, "My friends and I have a tradition every Friday night. I don't want to cancel on them after they suffered through that party for me."

Theo paused before getting in and smiled, "Raincheck then."

Eli honked his horn. "Get in, T. Or I'll make you sit in the back and Abby can sit up front with me."

Theo scoffed, even as he slid into the front seat. "You can't make me do anything."

"I just did, didn't I?" He winked at me from the rearview mirror after I got in behind Theo. "Ow!"

While Eli rubbed his arm where Theo punched him, a thought occurred to me. It was only a couple of days spent with them, but I would miss the car rides together. I enjoyed the short trip to Stressed and all of their bickering along the way.

After Eli dropped us off, he left to go buy the parts needed for my car. It took Theo's help to get him to take my money, but all he had to do was tell Eli that he would make him lunch on Monday.

Theo's bad cooking always seemed to do the trick. 'Nifty' was the word I used, which earned me a funny look from him.

Walking into Stressed after two days away felt like home. We were ahead of the Friday rush, so the quiet and sweet smelling bakery was going to be peaceful for a little while longer.

Or so I thought.

"Theo!" My mom yelled the moment she spotted us.

He shouted back like it happened every day, "Mrs. Hensley!"